Part 6

Maxine was jogging in her pink and grey hooded rain jacket, black rain pants and waterproof shoes. Her favourite time to jog is when it rains. The pitter-patter synced in rhythm with her steps. The ripples in small bodies of water each time her foot kisses the soaked pavement is her catharsis. The chilly breeze is better than the regular muggy atmosphere. Her parents disagree. They warned her that she will either fall sick or fall prey to sickos.

Maxine got lost in her thoughts when a figure charged at her. They fell with a thump cushioned by the grass patch on the side of the pavement. Maxine landed on top of her attacker with his arms around her waist. She was about to scream for help but with one look, she recognized her attacker. His intense dark eyes, caramel skin tone, sharp chin and the single deep dimple on his left cheek. They were all too familiar.

"Khalid?"

"Maxine! I am so sorry I was distracted. I did not mean to crash into you. Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine." Maxine placed her left hand on the ground to push herself up when she shrieked.

"Silly girl, you are hurt! Please let me help you but first we need to switch positions." Khalid chuckled teasing Maxine.

"I see you have not lost your bad sense of humour!" they laughed in unison.

Khalid helped Maxine up then called a cab to accompany her to get treatment. He noticed 3 missed calls from Syirah on his phone. He switched it to airplane mode.

****

Maxine came out of the doctor's consultation room with a sling on her arm. Khalid gave a sheepish smile.

"Let me make it up to you with a bowl of ice kacang from the cafeteria." Khalid offered.

"I'm impressed! You still remember my fondness for ice kacang."

"Of course! Without the corns, right? How can I forget when we used to lepak every day before I travelled to Washington. I, you and Nikky. How is Nikky? Are you guys in touch?"

"Yes. I saw him yesterday. He signed on after NS, so he's an officer with the SAF."

They continued their small talk over a bowl of ice kacang. Maxine had always held that power over Khalid. She makes him forget the world and all his worries.

****