Part 11

"Khalid, I've contemplated and figured out how we could hurt Syirah where it matters most. The one thing that has always taken precedence in her life is her career. We will destroy it."

"How?"

"Here take this. It's a tranquillizer. There will be no serious harm to Syirah. It will only reduce her productivity. Pour two to three drops in her morning coffee before she leaves for work. I can't stay long. The police put me on the list of suspects over what happened at the restaurant. We need to be more discreet. Trust you'll handle it?"

"Of course, bapak."

****

"Khalid!"

"Nikky, what are you doing here?"

"Bro, this is the second time I've seen you with your father here. I thought of approaching you to say hi but I heard everything he said to you. Don't do it, bro. He's a criminal."

Khalid swung a punch on Nikky's cheek. Nikky fell to the ground.

"Don't you dare call my father a criminal and you better keep your mouth shut about what happened here. If you don't, my father and I will go after Maxine. Yeah, I know you have the hots for her. Isn't that why you left so abruptly the other day? I mean it, keep your mouth shut!" Khalid scurried away leaving Nikky to fend for himself.

****

"Ibu, can we talk?"

"What is it Khalid, I need to be in the office soon." Syirah was at her dressing table applying foundation to her face.

"I've always thought of asking you this but I could never muster the courage. Why did you leave me with Mama Ros as a baby? Did you regret having me?"

Syirah stopped what she was doing, stood up and sat on the bed next to Khalid. She took his hands in hers and made intense eye contact.

"Khalid, it is time for you to learn about what happened. After I gave birth to you, I had postpartum depression. I constantly felt like a worthless mother and I got into a state of paranoia. I was afraid to hold you in my arms thinking I will drop and hurt my baby. I could not sleep for days and I had terrible mood swings. Then we lost your father, I felt worst. At that time, I applied for a transfer to the Jakarta's office so I packed our things and planned to take you with me. One day I was driving with you at the back seat and we almost got into an accident. That was my tipping point. I couldn't put you in any more danger so I confided in Ros. Although she was your father's first wife, I knew that she is kind and would take care of you better than I could. I let you go because I wanted the best for you. I never regretted having you, Khalid. You are the best thing in my life. You fill my heart with so much love it's overflowing."

Khalid had never seen Syirah as vulnerable as she was at that moment. There were tears welled up in her eyes. He wanted to believe her, but he couldn't. She didn't tell him the truth about his father. Khalid left the room and made that cup of coffee.

****