Part 7

"Khalid, where have you been? You said you went out for fresh air but now it's midnight!" I called several times. I was worried sick!" Syirah nagged.

"Why are your clothes muddy and stained? What happened?"

"I was running from the rain and collided with a girl. It turned out to be Maxine. She sprained her elbow so I took her to the hospital. She's fine. I'm tired. Can I go to bed please?" Khalid didn't wait for an answer and proceeded to his room. He threw himself on the bed and huddled under the covers.

It's hard to face Ibu Syirah without revealing my hatred for her. I cannot confront her yet. Bapak said that she is manipulative and cunning. It's best to hide the fact that I know bapak is alive from her. I need to be smart and tread with caution. I will investigate and find out the truth for myself.

****

"Hello, Maxine. How are you today? How's your elbow?"

"It's better, except the painkillers make me want to sleep in all day. I am on MC anyway. Want to come over?"

"Is it the painkillers or are you intoxicated by the handsome man you were on top of last night?"

"Forget I invited you!"

"Okay, okay, chill. You know I've always loved teasing you. I'll be over in an hour."

****

Maxine dropped her light pink lip gloss, startled by the doorbell. She had a white dress with red dainty floral prints and light make up. When she opened the door, her eyes lit up seeing Khalid with a bouquet that had 3 stalks of roses. In the middle of it was a teddy bear covered with a t-shirt printed 'get well soon'.

"Washington taught you well. I never knew there was a romantic side to you."

"It wasn't Washington that taught me but you." Khalid flashed a wide smile displaying his set of gleaming white teeth.

"And look who's all dolled up and beautiful."

Maxine blushed but she tried to hide it.

"Come in, I'll get your coffee. Black, with no sugar, right?"

"So you remember my taste too! Why don't you let me get the drinks?" Khalid pointed at Maxine's left arm.

"It's alright, my right arm is functional and I don't need much effort operating the Nespresso machine."

Khalid ignored her words and followed her to the kitchen. Maxine is as organized and clean as Syirah. The sink was dry and there wasn't a single dirty dish. All the items on the kitchen top were labelled and arranged in matching containers. The only smell permeating from the kitchen is the aroma of high-quality coffee.

Maxine tried to reach for mugs on the rack on top of the sink. Khalid hurried behind her and beat her to it. When his muscular chest brushed against her back, she felt a rush of heat in her cheeks. He stood so close that the smell of his musky cologne was driving her wild. Good thing she wasn't facing him or her face would tell all.

"Let me help you, princess," Khalid whispered into her ear. He turned around with the mugs to set the coffee machine in motion.

****

"Maxine, there is something I need your help with." Khalid broke the silence.

"What is it, Khalid?"

Maxine noticed him avoiding eye contact. He stared at the floor and rubbed his upper arm. It must be something difficult.

"Last night when I crashed into you, I was not thinking straight. I met my father."

"What?!! Isn't your father dead?"

"Apparently not. Everyone had been lying to me all these years. I need your help to investigate the truth about him and my mother."

"Whatever you need, Khalid. I'm here to support you." Maxine moved closer to Khalid and put her right arms over his shoulder.

The sound of the doorbell stunned them.

"Are you expecting someone else?"

"Nope. Let me check to see who's at the door."

"Nikky, what a surprise! What brings you here?"

"I heard about your accident and I'm here to check on you. I brought lunch." He raised a bag that permeated the smell of chicken rice.

"Come in, I've got another guest but he's no stranger to you." Maxine chirped.

"Bro! So good to see you, man. Welcome back!" Nikky cheered. The two young men exchanged a man-hug.

"So this is the mysterious guy who caused you to lose an arm!" Nikky joked with Maxine.

"Yeah man, it's my fault. Glad she's okay though." Khalid winked at Maxine.

Nikky pursed his lips and his mouth dried up. The spark between Khalid and Maxine caught him off guard.

"Excuse me, I need to get water." Nikky escaped from exposing his jealousy.

A minute later he told them that he got a call and had to leave for work.

****