Let the heart open and the race begin

"But Mr. Reddington, are you sure? It can be pretty dangerous," the doctor told Red with an urgent tone, hoping that he would change his mind.

"I'm sure, she deserves a better life and I know she's gonna make it," he said, knowing how strong Liz was. With that, he exited the room and called the person that could get that heart in time, who was an old associate that owed him some favors and that Red knew could do it.

"Andrew, I know it's been a long time since we last spoke but I still remember that you owe me something for that time in Budapest, which by the way, I remember well. So I need you to get something for me." after Andrew agreed, Red continued "I need a heart, it's for a woman very important to me. She's 30, has a congenital heart disease and her blood type is negative B, she just had another crisis and is waiting in the operating room, so I don't need to tell you that this needs to be done fast, you have 2 hours to get it. I'll send someone to pick it up." Andrew told Red a series of things that he already knew such as how difficult it would be to get the heart in time because Elizabeth's blood type could only receive from negative B and O and that made it even more difficult. Also the fact that it was late in the night. "I know very well what this implies but I know that you can do it because I'm sure you know what will happen if you don't." he hung up in order to call Mr. Kaplan.

"Kate, you know how much Elizabeth means to me, so I need you to go and get that heart for her in time, and make sure everything is in place. I'm gonna stay here because I can't separate from her for any more time, you know I love her Kate." The feeling of love running through his body and causing him a sense of relief and calm, that he knew it wouldn't last.

"I understand Raymond, and I won't fail you," Mr. Kaplan answered with that confidence that always accompanied her.

Red entered the room again and decided to sit at her side. It was going to be 3 long hours.

He took her hand and noticed how cold it was, he tried to warm it and kept telling her that she was going to make it, but those words weren't only for her, they were for him too because he knew that they were now in a race to save Liz's life, and he tried to convince himself that she would make it. That he would save her.

The first minutes passed very slowly, he couldn't take his eyes off her, trying to guess what she was feeling and thinking at that moment. He turned to the watch on his wrist and realised that half an hour had already passed. Mr. Kaplan had one hour to arrive at the place, one to get the heart and one to return, he hoped and prayed that it would be enough time.

A few more minutes passed, he didn't know how many because when he opened his eyes again, his head was resting on the edge of the bed. Their hands were still intertwined.

It wasn't till the moment he started to hear a fast beep that he knew something was wrong, terribly wrong. He could only see everything in slow motion, a nurse took him away from the bed. He had to release Elizabeth's hand. The beating became faster and faster, it seemed like the machine was going to explode, and a few seconds after, a silence reigned in his ears. The beating stopped, replaced by only one sound that meant the worst.

The doctors started shouting, asking for materials, and the nurses gave what they were asked to them. A defibrillator entered the scene and Liz's body was blown up by every charge the doctors made, one charge and nothing, the second and still nothing, fear began to run through Red's body and he tensed. He even tasted the blood in his mouth, having bitten it hard due to the pressure, fear and terror he was feeling. When it came the third time, all the room stopped for a second and the beep started again, it was slow and he nearly missed the sound, but he knew it was there. Red saw a doctor that was talking to him, but he didn't hear, immersed in the moment he just experienced.