Is Not Without You

"Everyone can do something special. The secret is sharing your dreams."

We Can // Sonic Heroes

The both of you exit out of the movie theater, stretching before sighing in content. Sonic's the first one to regain his energy, checking his communicator.

"One down!" Sonic grins, raising it for both of you to see. The communicator whirs the list, checking off the word "happiness."

You only glance at his watch, before turning away. You throw the empty popcorn bag into the garbage, licking any leftover popcorn butter that might've still been on your fingers. You spin only to meet with Sonic's chest.

"Who would've known that after all the complaints the princess had while I dragged her," Sonic places his hand on his hips, leaning down to your level, "that she would be happy seeing my favorite movie for the hundredth time?" He pokes your nose lightly quickly before averting from your gaze.

"As if I woul—" Color drains from your face as he only continuously taps his communicator. He isn't even looking back at you, he knows he's in the winning zone. He was helping you and Tails out (as that's what heroes do), but you know the helping part wasn't giving him this satisfaction. No, he was getting a kick out of being able to read your emotions so easily. It was only just a small pouting of his lips; a narrowing of the eyes and a tilting of the head. It was so subtle—his victory, you mean— you have never felt more defeated in your life.

"Aww, could Fast Hedgehog be her favorite movie too? And she was too prideful to admit it?" You give him a glare, balling your hand into a fist to intimidate him, which only fuels his ego more rather than minimally extinguishing it.

A sound of bells chimes into your ears causes you to unfurl your fist. Those bell peals dance as if in ballet shoes, this special sort of thunder twirls through your own delicate feet, urging you to follow its source.

"Ice cream! Please! I have a family to support!" The grey cat announces, stopping as he catches you and Sonic approaching him.

"Yeah yeah, just a scoop for her," Sonic drops a few coins into his jar and the vendor hands you a waffle cone dipped in the delicacy with sprinkles. It didn't come cheap of course, but then again, Sonic isn't one to be finicky when it came to you and his friends.

The vendor also hands you a long-handed spoon, which you graciously thank him for. Taking the first bite of the coldness, you couldn't help but feel utter bliss.

"You must have some luck getting your favorite flavor like that," Sonic comments, crossing his arms as you dive in for another taste. He didn't need to check the communicator on this one. It's kind of a no-brainer that you were ecstatic.

"Skill," you smirk, digging into the ice cream for another delectable taste.

"Luck," he retorts, his ego unwavering. You give him a look of doubt, eyeing his bandanna before trailing your gaze to his eyes.

"Skill," you conclude, pointing the spoon at him in a form of a threat. "End of story."

He eyes your spoon, leaning real close to it. He gives you a half-lidded expression and a devious grin, as if challenging you whether or not you were going to stab him with it. "Alright princess, skill. Like how skillfully I won this argument just now." And with those words, he quickly steals your bite from your weapon.

You stand in shock, blinking at him in disbelief as he backs away from your spoon. Your gaze follows him as he puts his pointer finger under his chin as if in deep thought about the taste of the delicacy.

"S'not bad," He pretends to smack his lips, turning to you with an undoubted coy grin.

"You," you start, unable to come up with any words to even fend for yourself. This was not your day. You were irritated that Sonic can just tease you like this and get away with it. You were also irritated that you knew it was for his own benefit because he wasn't even checking the buzz from his communicator, most likely because it crossed off anger. "You're too much sometimes. You know that?" He chuckles at you, walking towards you. You look up at him with not just irritation, but also with wonder. That thing you do with your eyes, it drives him crazy, all the time. He wonders if you do this consciously to mess with him, but how is it possible you could pull it off every single time he takes a glance at you?