Chapter 2 - Bad Tests And Chris

Dedicated to hemmysaxx for the bet that started this book.

The weekend went by pretty fast, almost like I closed my eyes and opened them and boom! Monday is here. Like every other normal person in the world, I hate Mondays, maybe not for the same reasons they do but I hate Mondays.

I hate having to get out of bed to get to class, that's like the worst part of my day—everyday—but there's really nothing I can do about it. Like they say; nothing good comes easy, and I guess, education can be classified as good. After what seems like ages, I'm already dressed up for class. I'll skip breakfast again this morning, because there's no time to eat, I can only hope that I won't have be dragged by the butt back to my room.

"Dede, are you ready?", Soma calls out to me from outside my room.

"Yeah, I'm almost done", I lock my wardrobe and grab my tote bag from where I hung it on the bunk. I step out of my room and lock the door, "Let's go", I say to her and we both leave.

Soma and I aren't in the same department, that is, we're not majoring in the same course, but we're in the same faculty so most of the time we're sharing courses which explains why we usually have class together.

"Dede how far, what are we doing today?", she asks, making me furrow  my brows in confusion, "For your birthday na", she adds.

"My birthday is on Friday, not today".

"But it's your 'birth week', so you're supposed to celebrate every day", she tells me. Somadina has this very weird practice of celebrating the whole week of her birthday, she picked it up from a show on TV when we were younger, and she has never since parted with it, and those of us around her had to give her a gift everyday, it could be anything even a cookie but it is compulsory that you give her something. I dread her birthdays for this reason especially.

"No, thank you. I'm not even interested in celebrating the day itself, let alone, a week".

"What kind of thing is that?"

"Honestly. If Kizz wasn't coming, I wasn't planning anything for the birthday at all. I don't even see what we're celebrating, I mean, me getting older? Please".

She stays quiet for a moment—more like speechless—and is giving me the stink eye but I pretend to not notice and just continue on my way to class.

"You're just a killjoy" she says finally and I chuckle a little, under my breath. "You're laughing? It's funny abi...abeg, let's just get to class", she dismisses the topic and doesn't say anything else for the rest of our journey, for which, I am grateful for.

"Let's call it a day here. I'll see you guys tomorrow at 10 am", I hear our lecturer say over the microphone and make his way out of the hall.

It's 4 o'clock in the evening and I'm just getting out of my last class. I've had to move from building to building to receive lectures all through the day, and with Soma next to me, talking my brains out, I'm more exhausted than normal and just can't wait to get back to my room.

As I make my way out of the building, I can hear people chattering and talking, the most common topic being about Kizz Daniel coming to school.

"Omo, e go too go mad¹", I hear one dude tell his friend.

"No joy for us o, one week, all diz babes no go gree person hear word²", his friend says in reply.

"Na true yan o, na dat time you go wan chyke one girl she go dey tell you say you gast sabi sing like Kizz Daniel³"