Chapter 5 - We Meet To Part

"For those of you that might not want to submit, you might as well give your answer script to the man selling egg rolls at the school gate", Dr. Ogunnika says as a warning to people that are yet to submit as I make my way out of the hall.

It's only when I step across the threshold of the hall that I release a sigh of relief. The exam didn't exactly go as smoothly as I'd hoped but the thought that I'm finally done with it and 200l is out of the way just brings a kind of peace to my being. The late night studying, the swollen eyes from sleep deprivation, the migraines, the catarrh from catching a cold at night, having to deep my legs in cold water all through the night to prevent myself from sleeping, even having to give up my phone for a period of time everyday, all of that can now be forgotten—at least until 300l when I have to write exams again. I just wish I could be done with university already.

But then if wishes were horses even beggers would ride, so instead of dwelling on the thought of the hell I'll have to go through later in life, I'm going to revel in this temporary freedom from school. At least now I can sleep for as long as I want to without having to think about getting up and going to class, I can also prepare breakfast and eat it comfortably and soon, I won't even have to worry about what to eat because my mom would be there to decide when I'm at home, and being at home would also mean that I'll get to call Kizz Daniel and tell him that we can finally go and see that movie.

In the background of my thoughts, I hear people complaining about the exam as I'm walking through the car park. Excited as I might be about finishing off my exams, there's a small part of me that's worried about what the results would look like.

First off, the duration given didn't favor me, considering I spent about 15 minutes out of that time outside, being scolded by Dr. Ogunnika, and secondly, the questions were just plain devilish. Maybe it was the length of the questions or the enormous words that he filled them with, I can't tell but there was something about those questions that made them incomprehensible and therefore almost impossible to understand and answer.

Thankfully, I had the advantage of having read my notes from cover to cover and so even though I couldn't exactly understand what the man was asking, I was able to find my way around it and thanks to my writing skills, I was able to refine it to a point where he could be impressed with my explanation—even though I wasn't exactly sure what I was explaining. In the end the explanation wouldn't even matter because I'm pretty sure he'll just read the first few lines and the last few lines and award whatever mark the spirit that governs him whispers to him.

I hiss under my breath at the thought, I don't even want to think about the exam any more. All I know right now, is that I'm done with my exams and therefore done with 200l and I'm now a 300l student. That there, is all that matters.

I'm about making my way down the road that leads to my hostel when I hear something like someone called my name. I get the thought to turn around to know who it is but I ignore the thought because the voice wasn't loud and I'm probably just hearing things and there's nobody actually calling my name. I hear my name again from behind, this time a little louder and I decide to turn around.

I scan the small crowd behind me in search of a familiar face and I'm about to turn back around and continue my journey when I hear my name again and this time a face is matched to the voice. It's Chris. He signals to me to wait and starts walking briskly towards me.

I haven't seen him since the time he came around our faculty before the show and seeing him now, I have to wonder what he wants. I stand on the side walk as I wait for him to catch up with me. I take a moment to rake my eyes over his appearance. He has worn a navy blue top with short sleeves that reveal the lean bulge of his arms, and has paired the top with black distressed skinny jeans and topped the look off with sneakers from Balenciaga. I don't need a closer look to know they're original.