Chapter 6 - Home Sweet Home

The journey that brought me back home was definitely not the best I've had to embark on. Although it's been a week already since I got back from school the memories of that day are still fresh in my head, especially because I am holding it as leverage against Somadina, considering she was the reason why we had to suffer that day.

Somadina and I had arrived Oshodi at around four o'clock, thanks to the infamous Lagos traffic. Like it wasn't enough that my butt was sore from having to sit in traffic for such a long time, I had to wait with Somadina for the 'exclusive' ride she booked for us to get home.

An hour of standing and roasting under the hot sun and getting pushed in every direction possible by pedestrians trying to make their way back home and drawing the attention of the 'agberos' at the park and still there was no sign of an exclusive ride anywhere. More than a few times, I suggested calling my brother so he could come pick us up but she insisted saying the exclusive ride was better and would be here in no time.

All I really wanted to do was get home, take a nice shower and eat to my fill but it didn't seem like anything of the sort was forthcoming. I was getting crankier by the minute and the loud rumblings in my stomach weren't doing anything to pacify my situation. I shifted in my spot from foot to foot, holding onto my luggage and glaring at Soma with increasing intensity. She had tried ignoring it but when I didn't stop glaring at her, she called the company and instead of having her 'exclusive' ride confirmed, she'd been told that the car she booked had some technical difficulties which needed to be fixed and at the time, all their other vehicles were in service.

After she told me, I didn't utter a word, no, I instead got my phone out of the place where I'd kept it in my bag and called my brother, I gave him our location and then I'd hung up.

"Dede sorry." became Soma's new mantra. Begging me to forgive her for leaving me to roast in the sun. I could have told her to stop apologizing but I completely ignored her, not because I was angry but because lack of food had shut my mouth closed.

I'd heaved a sigh of relief as I saw my brother's car pull up in front of us. Usually, only seeing him would have brought a smile to my face but being in the situation I was some few seconds ago, exchanging pleasantries was the least of my worries.

"Ahah, what's with the long face? Who snatch you people's bread?," he asked as he got out of the car and approached us. Neither one of us replied, instead we went ahead to dump our luggage in the trunk.

"Dede, Soma, wetin happen na? Person flog una?¹" he asked again with worry lacing his voice. In reply to his question Somadina went ahead to tell him the story of her exclusive ride and how we never got to take it.

There was a slight pause after she finished telling him and then he burst into uncontrollable laughter. I'm talking, watery eyes, clenched stomach, doubled over, full on thirty two teeth laughter, even I had to wonder if all was well.

"How long have you guys been here for?" he asked while wiping the tears from his laughter.

"Like two hours," Soma mumbled under her breath. He was going to laugh again but then he reeled it back in.

"Sorry ehn, I'm sure you guys are hungry, especially this madam that's frowning face like three days eba", he was referring to me when he said that and I glared at him in reply. "Oya², enter and let's go...I sha hope my car is exclusive enough for you o," and then again he was laughing.

It was only when I was seated in the passenger seat of my brother's car that the scowl on my face relaxed a little. I couldn't tell what it was exactly, maybe the cool air blowing through the vents or the sweet smell of petals mixed with my brother's woodsy cologne or the soothing music that was playing in the background or the smoothness of my brother's driving, but it all got to me and soothed me completely, almost even made me forget the rumbling in my stomach, keyword being almost.