Chapter 2

Memories

(Five years ago)

     Zarylynn Kiara Harper, nine-year-old thief, eased the door shut behind her. She did it quietly so as not to make a sound. Today was one of the rare days her mother was home, and Zarylynn didn't want to wake her up. She needed her rest. Well, that was what Zarylynn told herself. Zarylynn also really, really didn't want to get caught. She wasn't sure how her mother would react to her daughter getting ready to pickpocket a few unfortunate people. Actually, she wasn't sure how her mother would react to her daughter trying to pickpocket a few unfortunate people.

     In other words, Zarylynn was rather new to this whole taking care of herself thing. She thought she made an exceptional thief - well, she would once she got a bit older. Right now thievery involved a lot of getting yelled at and running away. Either she was good at hiding, or nobody bothered to chase a young girl who wasn't even experienced enough to steal anything.

     Today would be different, Zarylynn was confident. Sure, she had said that yesterday and every day for the past few weeks, but it gave her a determined feeling. Motivation? Maybe. Zarylynn didn't even know what exactly that meant. If she had been born into a better life, maybe she would.

     She knew her mother tried, she tried so hard that Zarylynn hardly saw her anymore. Her mother was hardworking and tried to provide for the two, but the truth was, neither of them knew the other very well. They were strangers to their own family, even living under the same roof. Zarylynn couldn't remember the last time she had called her mother "mommy" like she heard many kids say. It had just always been "mom", "mother", or sometimes she even reverted to "ma'am". Her mother never called her "Z" or "Zarie" like she imagined other families would have.

      The sound of shuffling footsteps returned Zarylynn to her senses. It was early morning, and the streets would soon be full even if they were barren now. She leaned against her wall casually as somebody walked by, earning herself a strange look in return. She imagined the cold expression she knew was developing every day, and remembered it wasn't supposed to be on someone her age. Well, that was everyone else's problem. Let them care. She didn't.

     As the person rounded a corner, Zarylynn pushed off from the wall and brushed her sleeve off where it had touched something damp. Jumping down off of the two-step "porch" outside her house - she refused to call something home if it didn't feel like it - she started walking forward. She thought it might be a good idea to use the alleyways to sneak around, but she was still scared of the dark... something she would never admit. Or she might, if she got some food or money out of it. Zarylynn wasn't exactly sure which genius had decided to make everyone value copper and gold over human beings, but she wanted to hit them. Really hard. Not really injure them too badly, because she wasn't sure that she had the stomach for that.

     The streets started to fill up, and Zarylynn just kind of stood off to the side awkwardly. She shoved her hands into her one-size-too-big pockets and scanned the street.

     The gods of thievery are probably hating me right now, doing this in broad daylight. Her gaze nervously lit on a small girl, about her age. She was being led around with a brown-haired woman and a tall girl. Zarylynn watched her, imagining herself dramatically as one of the cats she saw stalking their prey around her house. Snapping out of her dream with a half-smile still on her face, Zarylynn scanned the street for the girl again, and realized she had lost her. A wave of panic hit her before seeing the memorized face again. She was a little farther away now, farther than Zarylynn would have preferred.

     Pushing herself through the crowd recklessly, Zarylynn almost laughed when she remembered comparing herself to the cats moments before. She felt like she was all bones and clumsiness, while the cats were sleek and graceful.

     She shoved her way forward, finally feeling like she was actually getting somewhere. Then, she felt the crowd pushing back. A man shouldered her off of the street with a muttered, "Watch where you're going."

     Zarylynn glared at his back as he disappeared into the throng again. She sighed. At least she was on the other edge of the street, but again, she had probably lost the girl. The weight of her life hit her, and she felt like sitting there and crying. She had never asked for any of this. She was only nine, for heaven's sake. If she just stayed here, would anyone notice? Probably not. The people would ignore her, it would probably take years for her mother to notice she was gone. Her head drooped as she lay there, feeling sorry for herself. And then she saw something. The girl was in the crowd not too far off, where Zarylynn could probably reach her.

     Maybe I misjudged you, thievery gods. Zarylynn hastily scrambled to her feet. She walked forward more cautiously, staying partly in the shadows - only partly. She was not going to slink around in the dark thinking about what could be hiding there.

     As she neared the girl, she tried to act more and more like she was planning to walk past them. Zarylynn didn't feel like she was doing a good job of pulling it off. She stopped when the girl's mother and the tall girl, Zarylynn guessed it was the girl's sister, started to argue with a vendor. The trio had their backs turned, and Zarylynn spotted a bag slung over the girl's shoulder. A chunk of cheese sat inside it along with a small sack of rice, small enough that the girl could manage carrying it.

     Perfect. Reaching out slowly, Zarylynn prayed that they wouldn't turn around and spot her. Just as she was about to dart her hand out to grab the cheese, the girl looked over her shoulder. Zarylynn could practically hear the shouts already. She tensed, about to run. Then the two girl's gazes locked. Zarylynn felt frozen, incapable of even moving her hand back. It felt like hours, Zarylynn prepared for running and the girl just looking confused. The girl looked away first, down at her bag and Zarylynn's hand stretching toward it. Realization seemed to pool in her eyes, and Zarylynn got ready to be gone in the blink of an eye. Then the girl did something Zarylynn never thought she would do.

     Her hand went into the bag, closing on the cheese that Zarylynn had been about to steal. The girl pulled it out, looked up at Zarylynn, and... held out the cheese. Zarylynn blinked.

     What? The girl tilted her head and motioned to the cheese. Somehow, Zarylynn thought they both felt that it wasn't the time for talking. Her hand was still hanging in the air, and she hastily snatched the cheese. For the bond's sake, I hope that wasn't rude. She stopped to consider this thought. Nevermind, of course it was rude. I was about to steal her food. Zarylynn sighed and broke off her train of thought. The girl was grinning at her, and she hesitantly started to smile back. Then the woman and the tall girl started to turn around. Zarylynn scrambled back to the side of the road, for once willing to stay in the shadows. She hoped the girl wouldn't get in trouble, or wouldn't get caught at all.

     One day I'll be a good thief. Then I won't have to rely on little miracles like this. One day I'll be cold enough to come and steal food from this girl. But for today... I think it's fine. I'll survive.

     The girl whipped around towards her mother and sister, forcing a smile. The tall girl raised an eyebrow as the girl fumbled to close her bag. Zarylynn watched as the woman stalked away from the vendor she had been disagreeing with.

     Maybe one day I'll even be good enough to help Mother. I can steal, and she can work, and we'll be a family together. Finally. Maybe I can even give another girl my cheese someday. Zarylynn smiled to herself as the three people walked away.. I don't have to be cold just yet, do I?