Epilogue - Happily Ever After

A few years passed since graduation day. A new chapter was now to open, to be written at heart's will.  The future was uncertain but, that can be a good thing.

It had only been a few hours since the curtain of night befell upon Veda. The sky was clear; the moon and stars shone brightly overhead the rudimentary cottages disposed along the valley. Old oil street lamps lighted up the Town Square faintly, a dim fog coated the alleys. The streets and pathways between buildings were narrow but clean and well-paved. On the farthest side of the village, a light was still on.

On the highest jot of the glen, a cozy waterfront cottage stood tall surrounded in a peaceful country setting.

The silence is filled with the echoing of sweet, lulling words. In one of the rooms, a young woman in her late twenties sat on a chaise long at a king-size bed's feet all while reading a Christmas fable for the smaller ones laying on the bed.

"-- Clara, because she was able to break the spell, is revealed as the Sugar Plum Princess. Eric is shortly crowned king and the couple, who have fallen in love, dance as the citizens celebrate." she stated, "But, Fate had other plans for the two, you see... after the shrunken Mouse King steals Clara's locket and opens it, she magically disappears, leaving the prince kneeled behind, heartbroken." 

"What happened next! What happened next!" yelled the two children ecstatic, anxious to hear the ending to that tale.

"The next morning, Clara wakes up at home and the Nutcracker is missing. So, she runs to her grandfather, who dismisses the story as her wild imagination. Just when she begins to think that she'd dreamt about it all, her Aunt Elizabeth returns with a young man, who she immediately recognizes. They take each other in a warming embrace and waltzed throughout the parlor in the most beautiful dance, the fire filled their hearts as their love was rekindled. The end.With a soft thud, she popped the storybook shut and placed it on the bedside table, dimming the room's environment by turning off the lights, and then lithely rose from the chair, giving the twins a goodnight kiss.

"Auntie Rory?" said the childlike voice, which from its gentle tones seemed to belong to a seven-year-old boy, making the woman stop in her tracks.

"Yes, Kenton?" She turned around to look at the petit little blond rubbing off the sleepiness from his round, dark-violet eyes.

"If Clara didn't gather her courage, she'd never find out she was a princess." The boy said, there was an expression of innocence and youth to his voice. "And, if Eric didn't have a little faith, he'd never find the means to forgive himself." 

A feeble smile crossed the woman's features, "That's is right. Sometimes, our strength comes from the most unexpected places to light the way through the darkness. The most important thing is to never give up on your dreams, no matter what. Now, go to sleep, it's late already."

He promptly complied and dove back into the bedsheets, "Er... Auntie?"  but then, called one last time.

The older wizardess sighed faintly, "Yes?"

"When you marry uncle Randolph, will he become a prince too?"  He asked, sudden curiosity showing on his face.

Aurora said nothing; she looked confused as her mind took in what his words were supposed to mean, recognition blooming slowly. Then, after walking to his bedside, she laid a stuffed bear next to Kenton's head and snuggled up the bedclothes as the little one seemed to settle down underneath, "What do you mean, dear?" and sought clarification.