Chapter 9.

The bell rang signaling the end of math class. You gathered your things and entered the hall with Jessica by your side.

"Did Mr. Porter say what he wanted to talk to you about?"

"No, he didn't." You turned the corner and saw Justin and Monty stepping off the staircase that led to their last class. "I'm pretty sure I know what it's about though."

Jessica followed your gaze which was fixed on the dark-haired, plaid wearing boy that was now leaning against your locker. "Monty?"

"Mhm, that's the only thing I can think of. He saw us holding hands at lunch and didn't look too happy."

"Well, good thing he's not your dad."

You let out a forced laugh. "Yeah..."

"Hey, baby." Justin grinned as he slid an arm over your best friends shoulders. She kissed him before opening her locker.

"Hey, little bird." Monty stepped aside so you could get your Spanish textbook for your last class.

"Hi," you answered, your mind lost in thought about your upcoming meeting and what or who it was about.

He grabbed your hand after you stuffed your book in your bag. "Is everything okay?"

His touch reset your train of thought and you looked up at him. Seeing his eyes filled with concern caused you to smile, assuring him it was okay. "Everything's good. I just wish I could hang out with you instead of going to see Mr. Porter." Most of the worry had dissipated but a hint remained after hearing the guidance councilors name. "I should probably get going."

"I'll save you a seat." He grinned.

The ice inside melted a little more. "See you in a bit."

*

"Hello, Maggie." Mr. Porter greeted from behind his large wooden desk. "Can you close the door please, Miss Douglass?"

She smiled at you before shutting the door and returning to the task she was working on before she escorted you here.

"You can take a seat, Maggie."

You sat in the worn fabric chair across from him. "So uh...what did you want to take to me about?"

"Well," he swallowed. "I noticed that you were spending time with Montgomery de la Cruz."

And I was right. "Yes."

"Do you umm...know a lot about him yet?" The pages of the notebook lying in front of him rustled as the guidance counselor nervously played with the corners.

"Quite a bit, yeah."

"He just...Montgomery has a temper and he's...he's known for expressing it with his fists and not his words."

Really?!  "I know. He's told me along with my other friends."

The bell rang letting students know it was time for their last class.

Mr. Porter nodded slowly. "Have you noticed any other similarities between uhh...any boys you spend time with here and the umm...the one from your past?"

Is he seriously comparing Monty to Ryan?! And nice try asking about other boys when you are just talking about the one I was holding hands with. "There are no similarities at all between Ryan and Monty, other than the fact that they both are on the football team. Ryan never hit anyone else, only me." Your breathing slowly started to speed up as anger bloomed inside you.

Hearing the last sentence caused Mr. Porter's mouth to drop.

It surprised everyone else too.

He quickly schooled his expression. "Do your parents know you've been spending time with Montgomery?"