Chapter 5

(Credits to -peachyymilk for the banner!)(Gore warning, don't say I didn't warn you! Because I did

(Gore warning, don't say I didn't warn you! Because I did...)

Echoclaw gasped. Could Birchwing see her? It had been so long, but she could still recognize her mother's scent, and she still smelled like a nursing queen. "Echoclaw!" Birchwing exclaimed, bounding towards her, purring. "It's been so long! Oh, my shining star!" Shining star? The words brought back so many memories, some she didn't want to remember.

"D-Do you remember my name?" The black and white she-cat asked, her green eyes rounding. "Of course!" Echoclaw exclaimed. "You're Birchwing! You're my mother! And I'm your shining star!" She purred, rubbing her jaw over her mother's head. "Oh, you're so grown up!" Birchwing meowed. "I've been missing you, and Foamsky, and Fuzzfoot, and Reedstar! He's a wonderful father, you're very lucky to have him! And I've seen you training with Copperheart, what a lovely tom he is-" "You've seen me with him?" Echoclaw asked.

That seemed a little unfair. She couldn't even see herself with Copperheart! "Of course, he's very handsome and caring! For Beestar's kit." She snorted. "W-Why are you here?" Echoclaw hated to interrupt Birchwing, but she needed to know. "StarClan sent me here! I'm here to tell you something." Birchwing's face grew solemn.

"StarClan has realized that the Clans won't listen to our warnings-poor Reedstar, making such a decision-so I'm just here to tell you to do what you do best- heal and lead." "Why did I never see you before?" Echoclaw asked. "StarClan wouldn't let me, they wanted to give you something to fight for, so it was best if you couldn't see me." The pretty she-cat replied.

"But I've been watching you, and I say follow your heart, my shining star! You've worked hard enough to deserve happiness." I don't think I can find "happiness" in this life, but thanks anyways. Echoclaw thought grimly, whisking her tail but not daring to look at it, because every time she looked at her paws she would get scolded. Birchwing's face suddenly twisted with concentration.

"What are you doing?" Echoclaw asked worriedly, taking a step forward. "The moonlight is....gone....but I need to tell you one last...thing." She managed, her eyes flickering up to meet Echoclaw's. "I love you....do what you think is right, my shining star." Birchwing meowed, her voice fading away.

"No, don't go! Will I see you again?" She asked, hurrying up to press her body against Birchwing's but finding her fur flattened against the stone floor instead. Echoclaw scrambled up to her paws. "Birchwing!" She exclaimed. Flickerblaze gasped. "Birchwing? No cat's heard from her since she...since she, uh...." "Died. Yeah, I know my mother's dead." Echoclaw finished dryly.

"No, I didn't mean it that way, it's just....I thought.....we thought....maybe Birchwing didn't make it to StarClan." Flickerblaze muttered under his breath. Echoclaw huffed out a breath of disbelief and let her fur spike. "You thought that Birchwing didn't make it to StarClan!? Like, the Dark Forest? What d-" "I mean that maybe Birchwing's spirit couldn't find StarClan, it's possible when-"