TEN

TEN - 

The hollow, empty nature of the gym instantly strikes me as odd. Without the chatter and grunts of twenty four tributes, accompanied by a host of trainers inside, the room is cavernous and imposing. On the balcony, the Gamemakers are collected on luxurious couches and armchairs, lounging back in their bright robes as they pick at the exquisite banquet laid out around them. Still, none of them seem to be bored or intoxicated yet, despite the constant flow of wine served by the Avoxes bustling around them.

"Clove Kentwell, District 2." I announce as I step into the centre of the room.

The man at the front, Head Gamemaker Seneca Crane, nods and the rest of the men and women gathered behind him turn their attention towards me. Most of the tributes from 2 in the past have amassed decent scores, and the average for our District is around eight to ten. I'm hoping for double digits, as I know that will give Sidonia a significant helping hand in acquiring sponsors for Cato and me.

I head over to the throwing station and collect an assortment of different blades in my hand. Tiny ones, perfect for flicking out at close range. Wicked curved ones similar to Sidonia's face tattoo. And those like the ones back home in the Academy – perfectly weighted knives designed for my discipline. Willing myself to ignore the watchful eyes on me from the balcony, I simply imagine I'm throwing for Xavier in the weapons studio, and kickstart the exercise.

The sound of the targets clicking into place boosts me into action, and I release each knife as soon as the barest flicker of light appears around the humanoid shapes, showing off my lightning reflexes. Once the exercise is finished and I've lit every target green, the Gamemakers are nodding to each other, clearly impressed.

I take another couple of throws at various targets dotted across the gym, grounding the net Zafira climbed in training the other day and displaying my short range competency by flicking the smallest knife into the neck of Cato's sword training dummy. To fill the last minutes of my time with the Gamemakers, I grab a couple of axes from the weapons rack and begin to hack at my already punctured dummy with them. I'm nowhere near as practiced as Cato, and definitely lack any of his style, but to finish up I hurl my remaining axe into the opposite dummy's neck, promptly severing its head clean from its body. The head clatters to the ground along with my axe and rolls into the centre of the room.

The effect on the Gamemakers is instant. They stand to clap politely, chattering excitedly amongst each other, and I know I've made a good impression. I manage to hold back my grin long enough for them to dismiss me, but it breaks on to my face the moment I have turned my back on them to start towards the elevator.

Sidonia and Brutus pounce on me the moment I emerge into the apartment, jumping up from the dining table where an assortment of cupcakes and miniature crumbles are waiting patiently for us to dig in. When I explain the brief contents of my show, Sidonia nods along, smile growing larger by the second. Even Brutus looks pleased at my description and judging from their reactions I should have managed at least a 9 - a model career score.

Cato exits the elevator not long after, a smug look on his face. Our mentors ring every detail of his Gamemaker display out of him, and I can't help but roll my eyes as he tells them how obvious it was that they loved him. Of course they did. They just got to witness a Hadley in battle mode. No doubt Cato will manage a ten. Not only is he incredibly talented, but he has his family's reputation backing him up from the wings. His father has visited the Capitol multiple times since his Games, and even seems to share friendships with some of the minor Gamemakers. Cato Hadley pulling anything less than an excellent score is probably illegal on the grounds of ancestral fame.