THIRTY

THIRTY - 

"Well well girls, that was quite something we just watched!" Says Caesar, grinning broadly.

Katniss manages a convincing smile in return. I plaster a similar one across my face in an effort to keep up, even though my blood is boiling, and my heart is hammering against my ribcage and I can barely breathe. I'm feeling far too many things at once to even pay attention, something noted when Caesar waves a hand in front of my face.

"Miss Kentwell? Are you with us?" Caesar asks jokingly.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." I stammer, even tacking a small giggle onto the end. I don't think such a sound has ever exited my mouth, and I feel like I'm about to vomit. I push past it. "Didn't get much sleep last night. Too much celebrating." Casting a quick glance back at my mentor works a treat. Sidonia sends a wink in my direction which the camera thankfully catches. The crowd erupts into laughter at the response.

"And so you should be, my dear!" Caesar admits, looking between Katniss and I in awe. "I mean what an incredible plan. I had no idea! Did you, did you have even the slightest inclination that these two might be sitting here at the end of this year's Games?" He asks the audience, who cheer excitedly. A bright red rose brushes past Katniss' skirt. She picks it up and blows a kiss out to the stands, to the tune of raucous applause. I'm immediately aware of how much better she's doing at this than me. She doesn't even have to speak, and the crowd love her. I guess she has Cinna to thank for that.

But they do not adore me unconditionally. They accepted me because they loved Cato. And now they accept me because I am tied to Katniss. I was never meant to be here. If anything, it means I will have to be the one to put more of the work in, in order to make this interview a success.

I drag a deep breath into my lungs and will my heart to slow. "Honestly, I wasn't even sure we could pull it off ourselves." I muse. "There were a couple of moments where I wasn't even sure whether to trust you or not."

"Like when?" Katniss quips back. It feels a little too defensive in tone, but both Caesar and the audience seem to take it as banter.

I fix her with a raised brow. "Oh, I don't know, like that time you dropped a nest of killer insects on my camp, maybe?" I challenge, but luckily the humour in my voice isn't lost. Caesar holds his hands up in mock surrender and the citizens in the stands are howling. Katniss looks sheepishly at the ground, hand shielding her face from view. Perhaps it is better for her to not speak at all. Her actions are way more convincing than her words seem to be, at least in front of a camera anyway.

I don't know how we're doing it, but the crowd are eating up every minute. Caesar helps us through the difficult moments just like he did at the tribute interviews, prompting and turning the questions to the audience when words evaporate into silence. Every time the cameras flip back to our teams, Sidonia and Haymitch are stood arm in arm, grinning like maniacs. I like to think we've surprised them.

None of it stops the scream building in my throat. I'm on the verge of collapse when Caesar finally congratulates and bids us goodnight. We exit the stage amid wild cheers from the crowds and as soon as we are out of sight of the cameras I kick off my sandals and sink to my knees. I'm shaking so hard I can't even reach out and grab the pendant around my neck, and I'm vaguely aware of a crowd forming around me, unintelligible voices and hands brushing against my skin. I don't want them to touch me, I don't want any of them even near me, but my voice won't work, and I can't breathe. I can't breathe anymore.