Part II- Everyone Hates Flashbacks But Here We Are...

Elementary School

Grade 4

There wasn't much that happened that year. I liked Elliot but realized that it would never happen. I can't do anything anyway, we're in grade 4. We were friends, and me saying something like that would scare him away. I gave up and eventually lost my feelings for him. Bella moved to our school that year but I didn't try to talk to her. She looked really scary and way too intimidating looks wise and pretty much in every other way.

Grade 5

I walk into the big classroom. It's the start of another week at school. There's a strange smell in the air that's almost comforting. It's like the smell of crisp air mixed with the school's cleaning detergent. The smell of cold, fresh, water, piercing my nose but so refreshing. I've grown to like the smell, to welcome it. It really makes my heart clench in a strange way every time I breathe in this air. It's getting close to spring. I slowly come up to my desk and sit down. Soon, class starts and I see Elliot across the classroom. He looks at me and I wave to him. He smiles shyly, waves back and continues on his conversation. The teacher beckons us to the carpet to start today's lesson.

After lunch, we start our Science lesson. Hannah finds grass in my hair and attempts to get it out. My teacher jokingly tells us, "girls, it's not a hair salon. You can do that during recess." The class laughs. Surprisingly, I look in Elliot's direction to see his reaction. He just stares at me and smiles kindly. I bring my focus back to the lesson and the day continues on slowly.

It's now recess. "Hey Elliot, do you wanna join us for Manhunt?"

"Yeah sure" he says with another gentle smile and follows me where half the class gathered to play. I get chased around multiple times while laughing my head off cuz they can't catch up to me. I had the feeling that someone was watching me.

~~~

We were going to some overnight camp for a few days. It was our class's first overnight trip so everyone came to school over-prepared and sleep-deprived. We really couldn't sleep from the excitement but that didn't stop us. I loved the dorms and everything else. The activities were fun, the food was pretty good, especially that roast beef that they made us. My table had the grade 6 teacher's son, this grade 6 gifted guy that I liked just because he was smart, this other guy, Bella (I think), and Elliot. I really didn't care about my image at that point, the food was so good that I would give up my appearance for it. So yeah, you're allowed to get seconds but they gave me too much roast beef so I asked Elliot if he wanted some of mine. He was the only person I was familiar with so I didn't have many choices. He just teased me saying, "you got that much so now you have to eat it." Cue more soft smiling. His face was kinda red but at the same time, but since when was his face not red? I made sure to look at him with a death glare and pretend that I didn't want to eat it just to make him feel guilty. The rest of the days were just filled with food and more activities that got us up and running.

~~~

It's the day of Central's open house. I'm worried about our performance but that's ok. I'm running around on the field with James and a few other friends. Elliot arrives, and my friends and I yell hi to him. He runs up and smiles shyly, not saying anything. I mention that it's almost time to go inside so we race to the door.

Up in the classroom, James, Yusef and I were fooling around and pushing each other. No-one stopped us so I guess it was fine. They teamed up on me and that was really unfair. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Elliot watching us and beg him for help. James pushes me lightly and I laugh. "Elliot," I say, trying to catch my breath from laughing, "stop standing there and help me." He just shakes his head and keeps watching. With no one helping me, I stop playing around and give up. James and I end up in some random conversation with some pretty animated arm movements. Yet again, I get a feeling that someone's watching me but I ignore it.