two

02. EVERYTHING IS WRONG

JACKIE'S HEART clenches at the sound of Rick's screams of despair. She can see blood smearing everywhere around Rick's house, and the familiar pang of sadness filled her to the brim. She steps forward into the room, and put a hand on Rick's shoulder.

"I know how you feel. I'm so sorry, but you need to lower your voice." Jackie cringed, hating herself for not letting a man grieve in peace.

"Y-yeah, yeah." Rick sniffs and wipes his face before standing up. "They're alive. I know they are."

"How?"

"There's no family photos. Lori must've taken them." Rick said.

Jackie only nods, even though they got out of here, there's a chance they died on their way to safety. Leaving Rick, she went to the kitchen, trying to find anything useful and hopefully some food. Even though she already packed her backpack with food from the store to the brim, but there's no ill for trying right?

A sudden crash brought her to alert. She gripped her bat tightly while silently crept to the source of the sound. She flattens her back to the wall, and peeked to the doorway, her wavy hair almost covering her line of sight.

"Put your knife down. Slowly." A dark-skinned man said to Rick who had his back on him, while slowly putting the knife down. She can see the man held him at gunpoint, but there's no use as the revolver has no ammo in it.

Before she can step into the room, a corpse suddenly emerged from the side, lunged at the man. Jackie was quick, she grabs the corpse's back of the shirt and pushed him aside, without a beat, she slams her bat into the corpse's head, instantly killing it. Blood, and brain matter sprayed across the room.

Didn't know ya had it in ya, Ace. Jackie smirks.

She turns around, finding the two grown-up men string at her in shock. "You're welcome." And before the man can hold up his revolver, Jackie was quick enough to kick his hands, making the revolver thrown across the room. "I know it's empty, don't try anything." She said in low voice.

After the man apologizes and introduced himself as Morgan, he and Rick began talking about something related to what happened around here, Jackie didn't bother to listen, instead, she becomes a lookout, seeing how Morgan and Rick can't hear shit even if it's right in front of them.

"Jackie," Rick calls from another room. She walks over, tying her wavy dark brown hair into a low bun.

"What?"

"It's almost nightfall, it's better if we stayed here and wait until morning," Rick said apologetically. His heart clenched as her face fall after he said that. "I'm sorry."

"'S Alright." She walks past him and passed a hard look to Morgan, not trusting him yet. She looks over the window, trying to find a blind spot of the house.

"We need to start to barricade the house, we need to cover everything as much as we can." She says as she starts closing all of the curtains.

"You don't need to do that. I have a safe place. you can come with me." Morgan said as he walked out of the house, Rick following him.