Consequences

"Who are you?!"

"If I wanted you to know that, would I be wearing a mask?"
-

Chapter 4

It was a cool night, with the kind of tranquil breeze blowing that seemed to lift the ache of troubles from one's head. Lights were twinkling from houses, each and every person residing there grateful for the reprieve of sirens and danger's tension. Jump City was still, perfect, and content in every way.

The complete opposite of the turmoil erupting in Titans Tower. 

After the police reports had been filed and the bodies disposed of, the 5 teens retreated into their rooms and never looked back. Barely speaking to each other for the next week, the only time they interacted was to get cereal and to argue. 

But the alien princess was enduring the worst of it.

"Any idea where Starfire is?" Raven deadpanned to Beastboy, who was lying in the remains of game DVDs and chips on the couch.

"Oh, so now you want to talk to me? I've been trying to defeat the final boss for 3 days, and you didn't even help!" The changeling wiped the soda from his mouth, and furiously jammed his thumbs back on the controller. 

Raven rolled her eyes in contempt. "If this is about the battle, not all of us mask our emotions by endlessly playing super ninja fury." 

Beastboy angrily smashed the cola can to the floor. "Yeah? Well, some of us actually like to do stuff to feel better instead of brooding to Billie Eilish in their room!" 

Raven did all she could to disguise her expending irritation. "This isn't about my music choices. Where's Starfire?"

"Ask Cyborg." Beastboy lept to reclaim his remote, and became lost in the glow of the TV. "Come on! That move was cheating!"

Raven twitched. "You stall for 5 minutes, just to make me ask Cyborg?"

Beastboy grunted, and dropped into a slump. "Whatever."

-

Raven rapped twice at the metal door separating her and her metal teammate. "Cyborg? Can I come in?" 

The door slid open automatically, revealing a groaning figure in the corner of the room. "Cyborg?"

He waved sleepily. "Hey, Rae. Sorry if I sound tired. I'm installing a new update." 

Raven gulped. "For the.."

Cyborg nodded. "It will help me automatically recognize who's a human and who's a robot. No more deaths.."

He recoiled at the pain of processing the new information. "No more mistakes."

Raven placed a hand on his steel shoulder. "You don't have to. Everyone on the team is at fault. You shouldn't be the only one to bear the burden."

"Thanks, but I'm doing it anyway. Especially for Starfire." He tapped his glass eye and smiled. "All clear and installed."

"Speaking of which, have you seen her?" Raven began to amble out the door, already prepared for the impending answer.

"Robin would know."

-

Of all the Titans, Raven could feel Robin's emotions the most.

The mental bond that they shared had become unbreakable, which meant Raven was exposed to his complicated mind. From theories of Slade's identity to teenage hormones for Starfire, Raven could sense exactly what the boy wonder was thinking whenever she wanted to.