Chapter 20 - Epilogue

P.O.V Tobias

I woke up at 7:00 AM. I think I woke her because a couple of minutes later she sat on the bed too. Rud or Johanna isn't awake when we arrive in the living room. The breakfast is already there but we decide to wait for another 30 minutes. In the meanwhile, I grabbed some clothes we got from the capitol. After half an hour of waiting Johanna or Rud still wasn't awake so we started eating already. We talked about finally going home. When we were almost finished Johanna finally came. She was still in her pyjamas and her hair was a mess. She didn't really seem to care. Rud came shortly after. The train would leave at 11:45 exactly. I started packing my stuff in a bag. I got a bit more stuff here than I brought from home. After packing my stuff I was ready to go home. 

At 11:00 AM a car brought us to the train station. At the trip loads of people were waving us goodbye. A half-hour later we arrived at the train station. There were also a lot of people waving to us. In the time we walked from the car to the train we still received flowers and things. We stepped in the train and at exactly 11:45 the train began moving. I grabbed my bag and went to my cabin to unpack my stuff. I would be here around 3 days I think before we arrived in the centre of the district where I live. In the time on the train we hadn't that much to do, we played loads of games, watched TV when the news was on and ate. Rud said that we couldn't eat too much because our stomachs were still used to the arena because in the arena we didn't eat that much. I still wanted to eat more things but I noticed that my stomach wouldn't so I was full quite fast. During the night's Tris and I slept still in the same bed. She told that she was still scared of getting nightmares. I had them too, but I think they were less than those from Tris because one night I woke up and she was awake too, she was really sweaty and she was really scared I had to comfort her and tell that everything was good. After a couple of days, we finally arrive in my district. Johanna seemed really happy to be home again. I also was, but I think less than her. I had to miss Tris a lot, but I could see my family again. When we arrived at the train station and I had my bag with me Rud said: ''Well you are really lucky that I already have Tris her phone number.'' He wrote it on a paper and gave it to me and I did it in my pocket. I said to Tris: I'll call you as soon as I arrive and I wish you so much luck in the month that we won't see each other. Oh yeah and give my regards to Peter! Love you'' I said: ''love you too.'' I gave her a small kiss. The train doors went open. Johanna and I stepped out. The doors closed and left after a minute. 

Outside the station, there were a lot of people waiting for me and cheered when I came outside the doors. I didn't know that much people. Some I recognized from school but at the front row, my parents were standing there and also Peter and his parents. As soon I stepped out of the train Peter ran to me and hugged me as tight as he could. I gave him a hug back. I never saw him this happy. He was really really happy that he saw me again. He handed me a drawing he made. It was a drawing from himself and me. It looked really nice. When we got into a car before the station the driver said that we had to pack a couple of basic things and that the other stuff would come later. So when we arrived at our house I grabbed some things like clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste and some things to do there. The house wasn't that far away as I thought it would be. It was something like 1,5 KM from our old house. When we arrived at the new house we saw for the first time how huge it was. I never really walked past this part because I knew that I wouldn't live here in like ever, but now I do live here. I took a look through all the rooms. It was 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen with dining table, a living room and 2 empty room. My mom said that one of them would become an office. We would make 1 bedroom to something else. We kept 3, 1 for my parents, 1 for me and 1 as a guest room. Not that much a bedroom, but more a room for Peter if he would stay here. Yes, he sometimes stays here if his parents have to work too late. I unpacked my stuff and I was finished I think 20 minutes later. 

Johanna came that afternoon, she lived next to us. She forgot to tell me that every victor has got to find some 'new hobby'. She had some examples I decided to go for building things from wood. We had like a lot in the district so I could start right away. I didn't have that much to do. I couldn't call Tris. She was still on the train. I started something small. Didn't finish it. I wanted to go to Peter. I grabbed a bag and did some things from the capitol in it and started walking. Yes, my dad knew where I went. When I arrived at their house Peter was playing outside with his dad. They were playing soccer. Peter's dad said:'' Hey Tobias! You wanna join??'' ''Yes, I would like to. I also have some small presents.'' At the moment Peter heard the word presents he turned around and really wanted them. When we were inside I gave them. It weren't really presents, but more things that I received in the capitol like flowers and a couple of other things. Also food. I wanted to give Mrs Hayes, but she wasn't home. Mr Hayes said I could put the flowers in a vase so I did that. I gave Mr Hayes painting stuff. I knew he really likes to paint but just doesn't have the supplies for it. He was really happy with it. You may ask how I got this in the capitol? Well, it turns out you receive like loads of presents. Then I gave Peter's present. It was this teddybear from almost 1 meter high and also some drawing things. When you come into Peter's room you see on the wall hanging loads of drawings he made and pictures he made himself. Some of them were like really good. Peter was really happy with the presents. I stayed there for like the whole evening. I even joined their dinner. Around 8:00 PM I went home. It wasn't that dark, but I had a flashlight with me. 

A week later I was almost used to the new house. Peter also came twice a week. He really enjoyed the fact that he had his own room here. It wasn't finished yet but still, he was really happy. I talked every day with Tris. Sometimes even 6 hours! We both didn't have a lot to do. Tris told me about her scrapbook. I told her about the wood things. We really did miss each other and couldn't wait until those months were over to see each other again. My dad still had to work because he wanted to. My mom stayed home. According to the official rules, the family of the victor doesn't have to work for a month. They still get paid every month. They also receive every month a new food package so they won't lead hunger. The food also counts for the whole district. It was really good to see children running with bags of candy. Yes, our district is well feed, but we don't get sweets and other things with sugar a lot. So, it was really nice. 

Johanna came also once or twice a week. I think she was kind of getting lonely in her house. How did she survive it alone than all those years? One afternoon. I think it was 1,5 week after I got back here my parents were sitting at the dining table with Johanna. I was just back from the centrum. I had no idea what was going on. Johanna never was here when I wasn't here. Well, so far I knew. My dad said:'' Tobias, please sit down. We gotta tell you something.'' Johanna nodded. I never have seen her this serious. My mom said: ''Tobias, you know that Johanna doesn't have any loved ones or family-'' I interrupted her and said: ''Yes, I think the whole district knows that. Snow saw that she was incredibly desirable and wanted to make a prostitute of her. She refused and he killed of her whole family.'' my dad said:'' Thank you Tobias for that uhm refreshment. I think we all don't want to hear that again. Evelyn, go further.'' My mom went further: ''Okay so Johanna doesn't have any known family. Uhm, okay this can come as a big surprise and you can take all the time you want, but Johanna is your half-sister... I'm her mother...''