Putridae ~ 18

"Fuck we dont have time for this!" James roared up at the gate. People where behind. Hiding.

"Help!" I screamed. Realising the hoard is getting closer. There was alot of walkers. I counted at least forty.

I pulled out my knife before running towards the nearest roamer. The blade sunk itself into the skull of the infected corspe. I pulled the blade out, wiping some blood off on the grass. Just as I was about to run at another, the tall gates creaked open. James and I looked at eachother, nodded slightly, before running straight for the gates.

~~~

I forgot about whatever was going on with Mar for a second. There was commotion going on outside in the front. People were screaming, the gates were opened. Marina and I locked eyes before we ran down towards the front. Alec running behind us. Two people were let in.

A guy handed the guards a bow and a quiver of arrows. The girl handed up her glock, I watched for a second as she took the glock out of her boot. She had the same colour hair. Could she possibly- no. Paytons dead. No way is she still alive.

I looked over at Marina to see her staring at the girl.

"Payton." Marina let out with a breath.

"Payton!" She and I screamed. If it's not Payton, well deal with that embarrassment later. We weren't expecting Payton. But Payton turned around. Once she saw us, she instantly stripped off all knives she had.

Before I knew it, she was running at us, and we were running at her.

"Payton!" I cried on her shoulder.

"Oh my god I thought I would never see you guys again!" She sobbed, clutching us for dear life. Afraid to let us go.

The boy she had with her walked over. Payton pulled back. I noticed Alec walking towards us.

"James this is Marina and Miley. Marina Miley this is James." Payton grinned.

"Hi, this is Alec. Hes a good friend of ours." I smiled back. Back then, I never noticed how Marina seemed to tense up once she realised Alec was there. I had to find out what that is. Now that I had Payton, it should be easier. I couldn't help it. I ran at her again and tackled her. Hugging her tightly, sobbing on her chest as she stroked my hair soothingly.

~~~

Marina seemed to forget about what happened. Just, for how long? Alec stood to the side. Watching awkwardly. His stone grey, almost dead, eyes glancing around at the two new unfamiliar faces. Until it clicked.

"Your Payton. You saved Miley." Alec grinned proudly. Him being proud however, disappeared as soon as it came, as Payton looked him up and down. More of a, 'I think I'd be able to you on." Kind of look.

Alec didn't like that. He liked the smell of Quinn's office. So he turned, without another word, and left.

Quinn had a fire lighting when he walked in. He smiled as he plopped himself in front of the warm flames.

"Who's the new comers?" Quinn asked him, without looking up.

Alec stared at the flames for a few seconds before answering.

"Payton and James. Payton used to be with Miley."

"I'm going to go down and greet them, I'll be back up." She smiled slightly before leaving.

~~~

We were sitting in the cafeteria. It was like any other cafeteria in any hotel. Expect it was safe. It was home. A lady walked in, taking a seat next to me.

"Hi, my names Quinn. I hope you enjoy yourself here." She smiled slightly.

James grinned.

"Thank you for taking us in." He responded.

"Payton, can I speak to you in my office for a few minutes." She asked. Ignoring James and looking at me, dead in the eyes.

"Uh yeah sure." I mumbled, with a shrug.

She nodded and got up. Waiting for me to follow.

Alec sat in her office in front of a fire. Once he saw that I was there he walked out, smiling at me for second.

"How long have you been out there?" Quinn asked. Handing me a glass of water.

"Since it all started." I responded. Looking at her eyes as I pushed the full glass to the side.

"You good with killing them?" She asked. Although it sounded more of a statement. She said this while never breaking eye contact.

"You could say that." I breathed out. Maintaining eye contact.

"Well then, how would you like the join in on some supply runs. I saw you with that walker, your good Payton." Quinn clapped, a grin plastered on her face. Her eyes flickered to the ground for a second before she looked back up at me.

"Yeah sure." I said back, playing it casual, with a smirk playing on my lips.

~~~

Payton is off in her own world. Shes getting ready to go on a supply run. Shes good, but even I can tell she just wants to be able to be free. She wants to be safe, not trapped. That's why she agreed. Not to help anyone, it's to help herself. Not for food, she'd hunt for herself, but provide for others. That's always been Payton. That's why I warmed up to her. I grinned slightly watching her load her glock. I was glad shes back, theres no denying that. I missed her. Once I turned back to face Marina, the grin quickly fled. Marina had that same look in her eyes. That same look of utter fear. This time, I'm about to find out what's going on. She was clearly stressing over something, and that worried me. She should be happy. Hell, if anyone deserves to be happy, it's her. I dont care what I have to do to ensure shes safe and happy. You never turn your back on friends. Especially one who has had your back, and who looks completely and utterly terrified. That scared me. A Lot.