Chapter 5-The Cruel World

Fourteen months have passed since (Y/N) and Rem had met the Kamado family. In the months that have passed, the pair had visited the family several times and grew extremely close to the family. Unfortunately, Tanjuro had passed away a few months earlier and it became increasingly difficult for the Kie to look after all of the kids. Currently, (Y/N) and Rem were walking towards the household, but Rem grew tired and asked the shinobi to carry her.

"I told you that you should've slept at the inn last night and not talk to me all night," (Y/N) reprimanded the girl as she yawned.

"I missed you," Rem said, closing her eyes as sleep overtook her causing the shinobi to sigh. Truth be told, at times the girl wished that they could go back to their old life of living peacefully in a rural area, but she knew that it was impossible now.

"Rem, we've been inseparable for over 10 years now and I still don't understand you at all," The boy said as he heard Rem snore lightly.

"You've been weird the last few months...I wish you'd be more direct with what's wrong." (Y/N) said as he looked at the wind to determine, which direction to head towards the Kamado house. Unfortunately, for the dense shinobi, Rem had begun to understand her feelings for him, and was trying to subtly give him clues.

"(Y/N)-nii! Rem-nee!" Tanjiro shouted as he caught up to them. Ever since the pair had begun to visit the Kamado family more often, Tanjiro started to view (Y/N) and Rem as older siblings that he could look up to.

"Oi, Tanjiro! How are you? Sorry about the sleeping princess here, but she didn't want to sleep last night so we stayed up last night." (Y/N) greeted the boy and patted his head.

"It's alright, (Y/N)-nii. I didn't expect to see you visit so soon again." Tanjiro replied as they made their way towards the Kamado household together.

"Without your father here, I feel a little uneasy with all of you living in such a remote area." (Y/N) replied bringing a sad smile to the boy's face.

"Thank you, (Y/N)-nii." Tanjiro replied as (Y/N) stopped dead in his tracks and the wind picked up greatly. Tanjiro looked at his surrogate older brother confused.

"Rem, wake up and ready your blade. Tanjiro, whatever happens, stay behind us." (Y/N) ordered as the half-demon girl woke up. They began to run towards the Kamado house and Tanjiro picked up the scent of blood at his house. The trio reached the house and went wide-eyed by what they saw. Nezuko was covered in blood and clutching Rokuta as Tanjuro ran over to his siblings in shock before running inside his house to find the rest of his family dead. (Y/N) and Rem looked on saddened by what had happened to the Kamado family. Rem reached down to both Rokuta and Nezuko, and felt that Nezuko had a faint pulse.

"Tanjiro! Nezuko still has a pulse! We have to get her out of here and to a doctor." Rem shouted as Tanjiro ran outside and carried his sister. The trio then began to make their way towards the town's doctor, but the snow made it difficult.

"Tanjiro, I know you're scared and confused, but if we encounter another demon or unfortunately a demon slayer then you let Nii-san and Nee-chan deal with it." (Y/N) ordered as Tanjiro took a moment to process his words before agreeing. Unfortunately, it was at this moment that Nezuko had begun to awaken and was turned into a demon. Tanjiro and his younger sibling fell off a nearby ledge and tumbled down the hill as Nezuko attempted to bite her older brother, but luckily Tanjiro used his axe's handle to stop her biting down on him.

"Shit! Rem, hold on to me." (Y/N) said as his best friend held on to him tightly. The shinobi launched the grappling hook from his prosthetic arm onto a tree branch and swung down safely next to the sibling. In the distance, familiar footsteps could be heard as it began to get closer to the four. Tanjiro, who had been struggling with Nezuko begged her one last time to not give in and become a demon. Thankfully, for him, she managed to do so as tears dropped from her face. The familiar figure now identified as Giyu had finally closed in on them and readied his Nichirin blade at Nezuko and Rem, but (Y/N) managed to block the attack with his loaded umbrella prosthetic attachment. The Water Hashira was surprised that not only was his attack blocked, but that it was the Shinobi from over a year earlier that did it. Both (Y/N) and Giyu stared each other down, while Rem sheathed her blade, and instead drew out her bow and aimed it at him.