Chapter Two

They entered Nia's house and Maddie was immediately swept off by a pair of boys. Mackenzie let her go, eager to get a drink and find somewhere to hide for the duration of the night. She found the kitchen easily and got a beer from the fridge. She was just looking for a bottle opener when a squeal filled her ears.

'Kenzie!' It was Kendall Vertes. Mackenzie had seen her not too long ago because Kendall was still good friends with Maddie, so she visited frequently.

'Hi Kendall,' Mackenzie said, accepting a hug from the older girl.

'I did not know you were gonna be here!' she gushed. 'And you look gorgeous, talk about a glow-up!'

Kendall chatted away animatedly and Mackenzie let her. It wasn't until somebody else walked past the kitchen doorway that Mackenzie realised what she'd let herself in for.

'Hey, JoJo!!' Kendall hollered, making Mackenzie jump. 'You'll never guess who's here!'

After a few seconds, JoJo Siwa's head popped around the corner. 'Yeah?' Then she spotted just who was standing next to Kendall.

'Oh my God! Kenzie!' the tall blonde bounded towards Mackenzie and hugged her so tightly that the younger girl's feet left the floor. 'I haven't seen you in so long, where have you been?'

As Mackenzie's former teammates talked at her and gushed over her, Mackenzie realised just how much she'd missed them. Now she had seen them, she didn't think she'd be able to stay away for another two years, for they'd been through a lot together. They were her family.

Between them, Kendall and JoJo managed to drag Mackenzie out into the living room and onto the makeshift dance floor. She protested mildly, but before long she was dancing with them and actually having some fun. Then, Mackenzie spotted the birthday girl across the room. She excused herself from Kendall and JoJo and approached Nia.

'Happy birthday, Nia.'

Nia Frazier turned suddenly upon hearing her voice, and when she realised who was standing there, she immediately engulfed the younger girl in a bear hug. 'Kenzie?! I was hoping you'd come but I didn't think you would! I'm so happy! How have you been?'

Mackenzie felt her eyes fill with tears. Nia always was the sweet one.

'I've been okay, just super busy,' Mackenzie said. 'I couldn't miss your birthday though.'

'Well I'm so glad you came! Are you having fun?'

'Yeah, it's a great party!'

'Good,' Nia said. Suddenly, Nia seemed to spot something across the other side of the room. 'Hang on, I'll be back in a minute. Don't go anywhere.'

Mackenzie blinked in surprise, but Nia had already disappeared into the crowd. Mackenzie was tempted to go and find a couch to sit on now that she'd said hello to everyone, but she didn't want Nia to come back and find her not there. So, she stood there on her phone for a minute or two, replying to a few messages that she'd forgotten to read earlier. After she'd done that, Mackenzie looked up to see if she could see where Nia had got to. She scanned the room for Nia's deep purple dress and found her still across the room, watching her. Mackenzie raised an eyebrow, wondering why Nia was just stood there and not coming back over to her. She cocked her head slightly to the side in question and Nia responded by shifting her gaze to Mackenzie's right. Mackenzie followed Nia's line of sight until she noticed exactly what the older girl had been looking at. And why she'd had such a smug look on her face. Mackenzie could not believe her eyes.