Chapter Five

It was twenty-seven minutes past ten when Brynn woke up the next morning. The first thing she noticed when she woke up was that she and Mackenzie had shifted around in their sleep and that she was now spooning the younger girl. Slowly, Brynn untangled herself from the other girl's body and wandered off to the bathroom. After that, she collected her shirt and underwear from the floor and put them on before she slowly made her way downstairs to make breakfast – Mackenzie's favourite of chocolate chip waffles with syrup and coffee. A note on the counter told Brynn that her mother, stepdad and siblings had gone out, leaving her and Mackenzie alone in the house. She had made the batter and was just putting it in the waffle maker when she felt smooth hands slide around her waist and a chin rest on her shoulder.

'Good morning,' Mackenzie purred into Brynn's ear. The warm air tickled her skin delightfully.

'Morning baby girl,' Brynn replied, allowing her head to tip back and rest on Mackenzie's shoulder. 'I can't believe that you're mine after I spent all those years pining for you. This is just perfect.'

'I know sweetheart, it doesn't feel real.' Mackenzie kissed Brynn's neck gently before shuffling away to lean on the kitchen counter. 'That smells amazing, by the way.'

Brynn smiled. 'I hope chocolate chip waffles are still your favourite?'

'Yeah! I can't believe you remembered, that's so sweet!'

Brynn bit her lip. 'I still can't believe I'm making you breakfast.'

'Neither can I.'

'I want to make you breakfast everyday for the rest of our lives, Kenz,' Brynn said, turning away from the waffle maker to look the brunette in the eye. 'If you wanted me to,' she added as an afterthought.

Mackenzie pushed herself off the counter and made her way over to her lover. She wrapped her arms around her waist and rested their foreheads together.

'I've been in love with you for the last five years, Brynn Rumfallo. An apocalypse couldn't keep me from loving you for the rest of my life.'