Chapter Four

Brynn had the entirety of the top floor to herself, so her bedroom was huge. The walls were painted a very light shade of blue and a luxurious cream sleigh bed covered in blankets and pillows took pride of place in the middle of the wall to the right. Straight ahead was a wall full of floor length windows, framed with expensive-looking dark blue curtains. The view was stunning and because it was dark, the city was lit up. Mackenzie could also see a balcony outside the window with two recliner chairs and a small table. The left side of the room comprised of a plush seating area with a matching armchair, a couch and a chaise longue, all in a sumptuous navy blue and on the left-hand wall towards the back of the room there were two closed doors.

Mackenzie was in awe. 'This is gorgeous, Brynnie, did you do it yourself?'

'Yeah,' Brynn nodded shyly. 'My stepdad and brother and sister helped me paint it, but I did most of the rest.'

The brunette made her way to the window and sighed, looking out at the city. A few seconds later, Brynn appeared beside her and opened the double doors. She made her way out onto the balcony into the warm summer night air and leant on the rail a few feet away. Mackenzie couldn't help but think that the blonde looked stunning against the dark backdrop.

'Are you okay?' she asked, tentatively making her way over to the rail to stand beside the blonde.

'I'm wonderful,' Brynn breathed, turning to look Mackenzie in the eye. 'I wasn't expecting to see you today and it was just perfect.'

Mackenzie couldn't do anything but blush and smile shyly. Without looking away, Brynn reached into her bag and produced a packet of cigarettes and a fancy-looking silver lighter. 'Do you mind?' she asked, nodding towards the packet.

'No, not at all,' Mackenzie said, her mouth suddenly dry. 'Actually, do you think I could have one?'

Brynn didn't reply. Instead, she took one out and lit it, never once breaking eye contact with the other girl. Then, she shuffled closer to Mackenzie and took her chin between the thumb and forefinger of her free hand. Mackenzie allowed Brynn to gently pull her closer until they were almost nose to nose. Brynn used her thumb to gently pry the younger girl's mouth apart before sliding her hand back to grasp the back of her head and hold her steady. Mackenzie stared as Brynn turned her own head to the side and took a long drag on her cigarette. When she turned to face Mackenzie again, she opened her mouth slowly and began to exhale the smoke in a steady stream. At first the smoke billowed around their faces, until Mackenzie realised that she was supposed to be inhaling. She quickly took a steady breath in, trying to match the rate in which Brynn was exhaling and pretty soon, they were in sync. Mackenzie could taste the smoke in her mouth and she suddenly found herself grasping onto Brynn's forearm – she was overcome at the intimacy of the situation. Brynn's eyelashes fluttered as Mackenzie's fingers touched her skin and she watched, lips slightly parted, as Mackenzie closed her mouth, forcing the smoke she had inhaled to come out through her nose.

The two girls stood there, inches apart and gazed into each other's eyes for several moments until Brynn handed Mackenzie the cigarette. The brunette repeated the blonde's earlier actions and took a long drag before placing her thumb on Brynn's chin and her other fingers on the side of her neck. She then leant in, so close that their noses were touching and exhaled the smoke slowly. Brynn immediately opened her mouth and Mackenzie couldn't help a soft little sound from escaping the back of her throat – she could feel Brynn drawing the smoke from her mouth and it felt wonderful.

Once Mackenzie had exhaled all the smoke in her mouth, she drew back to watch Brynn exhale it, which she did, never breaking eye contact.

'Good lord,' Mackenzie murmured, passing the cigarette back to Brynn. The older girl took a drag and exhaled it normally before she turned it around and held it to Mackenzie's lips. She took a drag and inhaled the smoke, feeling a calm wash over her as she exhaled. They each took two more puffs before Brynn stubbed the cigarette out.