Chapter 1

A/n- my foot still hurts. Bruh I stepped on that wasp like 5 hours ago. Also I did not expect so many people to comment on my face reveal- you guys are so amazing. I love you so much ahhh.

Enjoy.

Sorry for the short chapter.

~

- 2 years later -

"Eileen! Did you steal my hairbrush?" Y/n yells from their room.

"What? Yeah sorry I just had to borrow it quick." She says, walking into the room and handing it to her.

Y/n sets it in her suitcase gently.

"God I am so excited. I haven't seen them in so long." She sighs.

Y/n was finally returning home after two years. She couldn't be more excited.

She missed the newsies. She missed her family.

Truth be told she hadn't heard from them in a while.

Crutchie (and the others of course) used to send her letters at least twice a week.

But they slowly started to stop coming. Twice a week turned to once a week. Then once a month. Then once every few months.

Now, she hasn't received a letter in 5 months.

She frowns at the thought.

She was worried.

What had happened? What caused the letters to stop?

She shook the thought.

She knew that she had to see them. No matter what she had to go back.

It's been the only thing she thinks about since she left. Every second of every day.

That and of course-

"You excited to see your boyfriend~" Eileen teased, noticing how deep in thought the girl was.

Y/n jumps slightly. She glares up at her best friend.

"Oh stop it!" She says sternly and throws her shoe at the girl.

Eileen laughs and tosses it back.

Of course El knew about the... thing... that happened before y/n left. They were best friends. Plus y/n never stopped talking about it. Or thinking about it for that matter.

"My question still stands." Eileen says smugly as she leans against he door frame, crossing.

"As does my response." Y/n says, not looking up to the girl. She continues to pack her clothes.

She sets a box in her suitcase. The box held all the money she's saved up the past two years; and a little she stole from Gladys.

It should be plenty to get tickets for the ride and leave enough extra for anything else she might need.

As soon as she turned 18, y/n knew she would leaving and going back to New York. She had been planning it since she arrived.

Y/n turns 18 in a few hours.

"So you're really leaving huh?" Ellie asks, sitting next to the girl on the floor.

"I've been telling you this for 2 years. Yes yes I am. I'm finally going home." She rolls her eyes.

She finishes packing and closes her suitcase, placing it by the door.

"As soon as I'm a legal adult, I'm out of here." She states.

She looks up at the other girl; who's eyebrows are furrowed; probably from thinking of something sarcastic to say.

"And you should come with me." Y/n finally says.

"What?" Eileen responds. Her eyes glisten.

"You," y/n reaches her hand out to help Ellie off the floor, "should come with me." She finishes.

Eileen smiles and hugs her.

"I thought you'd never ask!" She exclaims.

The two finish packing.

They set their bags by the door and get ready for their journey in the morning.

"Goodnight n/n." Eileen whispers from the bottom bunk.

"Goodnight Eileen." She whispers back.

~

Y/n and Eileen sneak out the door early in the morning.

Y/n left a note in their room that read,

Dear Aunt Gladys,

Thank you for these past few years, but I'm afraid now that I am an adult, I can make the choice to finally go home; the home you ripped me away from. Back to where I am happy. I am taking Eileen as well because she deserves better. You have made our lives a living hell for two years. Have fun living on your own.
Your oh so loving inconveniences,
Y/n and Eileen

Gladys crumbles the letter. "Good for nothing brats." She mumbles to herself.

By then, the girls are already on a ship heading for New York.

The place where y/n belongs.

The place where her family is. Where her best friends are. Where her love is.

She smiles at the thought as she listens to the waves, crashing into the side of the ship. She drifts into a deep sleep.

Soon everything will go back to the way it was.

Or so she thought...