Epilog

They saved each other

Like hail on a glass pane, the drumming of her fingers was as relentless as it was loud

Like hail on a glass pane, the drumming of her fingers was as relentless as it was loud. Each click of the pretty natural nails on the table echoed the tumultuous thudding of her heart beat. Her face, rigid with tension, belied her youthfulness, she seemed to have aged a decade in the past few hours.

The patient peered from the bed before letting her head fall heavily on the pillow. It was like that every visitor time. All of the others had family and friends, nice food and flowers. Haera got disappointment served cold. Some days the nurse would wander in with some cookies and a coffee, but Haera would perceive it as pity and turn the other way.

She wanted her friend, the one she asked for every day. She wanted her boyfriend, forgetting that he'd passed. She wanted to go to the abandoned dance room, but leaving the hospital wasn't an option yet.

Haera got everything she didn't want, nothing she did want, the nurse could see that. Still, every few days she'd bring the butter cookies, persevere until the girl let her in.

She wasn't allowed to wonder the hallways. Well, nit until she was stable enough to leave her bed. She sighed waiting patiently.

She doesn't remember how she got here. She only knows she's been here for over a year, rehabilitating. Staring at the white walls, all alone. She could never leave her room and she didn't have any roommates.

She stood up as she heard the door opening just a little. Her eyes darted to the door, frowning. It was happening every day. At first, she was curious but to weak to sit up. And after a while she lost interest.

Curiosity took the best of her as she stood up and opened the door.

He saw the shock register on her face before she could hide it. A small smile played on his lips. It wasn't what he said though, his words were like vanilla pudding, sweet in their ordinary sort of way, it was the richness of his tones - luxurious and warm.

" Haera " he whispered softly.

The smell of his vanila cologne awakened memories long forgotten, echos of those long ago hospital visits jarred her mind. Suddenly being forced to swim once more in the tide waters of the past, she walked down the corridor with attitude of a soldier returning to the battlefield.

" Wait " he said weakly the wheels of his wheelchair squeaking against the marble floor.

The girl turned around with shaky hands as she tried as hard as possible to control her emotions.

A single tear slid down from his warm, butterscotch eyes, followed by another one, and another one, until soon, a steady stream of salty tears flowed it's way down his pale cheek, releasing the sadness and sorrow that has been held inside of him for all this time but still he did not make a sound.

She took hesitant steps towards the boy and kneeled down slowly, wrapping her arms around him.

" Jimin " she sobbed, holding him closer.

The latter smiled softly, cupping her face.

" You got over your addiction "

The girl nodded and chuckled softly, wiping away his tears.

" But you're still sick.. " she said as she started crying again and he nodded.

" But I'm not dead, you saved me. "

She smiled weakly as her body waa fidgeting between crying and smiling.

" But you could've died... " the boy whispered. " y-you were so cold and I- "

" You saved me. "

She smiled widely and pulled him in a kiss, feeling the salty taste of their mixed tears tingling on each other's lips.