Chapter 24

The only source of light in the room was dancing around in the air as soft crackling sounds were heard. The fragrance of sweet jasmine had filled the room and  it's heavenly scent would make anyone who entered the room inhale. I would appreciate the scent too, if I hadn't been in the state that I was in at the moment.

My fingers flicked through the candle flame, playing with the fire. I was having thoughts about the damage it could bring us. It was only the truth that it could go from being a small flame to setting my whole room on fire. It could cause my whole house to burn down. Just a small flame..

It was almost similar to my life changing because of one sole person...

"Enough, I will open the curtains and turn on the lights." I heard Dania say in the background as she stepped around in the room. I could sense her move towards the window while my attention didn't move from the candle placed on my dressing table.

Not long passed before the bright sunlight almost blinded me through the window and the daylight was welcomed into the room.

I stared at the window in front of me and tried to adjust my eyes to the light. The annoying light gave me a second to think about readjusting my dressing table. I remembered how I had excitedly put the table in front of the window a few years ago. I had thought it would be the perfect spot for it. I didn't know at that time that I would be annoyed with it a few years later. Annoyed at the light falling upon me...

A soft groan left my lips and I pushed back the candle on the table and leaned down on my arms, hiding my face from the light.

"You seriously can't be that depressed over such small matter!" Dania exclaimed, her words made me lift my head and turn to look at her.

"Small matter? She told me we would pack our bags and leave if she ever saw me talking or seeing him again." I said, the panic clear in my voice.

"She's your mother, she cares about you. She was angry at the moment because of what she saw. She will get over it." Dania replied, her words making me readjust in my seat on the stool.

"He won't leave me alone. Once she realize that, she will take me away from here." I let out, stopping myself from cursing at my fate. "It's not even the right time for all this to happen. It's been two days and I haven't seen him once. I don't know anything about his condition."

I hated the helpless feeling, but it was the second strongest emotion I was feeling at the moment. The first one being guilt. I was feeling guilty because it had all happened because of me. Not enough with marrying me to save me from that man, he also got shot because of me.

"Why do you care?" Dania asked, as if trying to get a reaction out of me. "You're giving out very mixed signals. One second you claim you don't ever want to see him again and next - you miss him and care about him."

"I don't miss him." I corrected. "It's just that he got shot because of me. I'm the one at fault."

"Yeah, it's your fault he forced you into a marriage." She nodded ironically. "And it's your fault he made you the daughter-in-law of that Mafia family."

Her words made me raise my eyebrows at her. "Mafia family? Stop this nonsense." I said, shaking my head in disbelief.

Dania let out an audible sigh and made her way towards me before she kneeled down in front of me. She took my hands in hers and squeezed them in comfort.

"Your mom's anger isn't what you should be worried about. That Mikael guy shot Walid, he tried to take his life. No one knows about it at the moment but when they do find out? What will happen then? Do you think the Aydin family will let it go? There will be war, blood will spill. You should be worried about yourself."