04; first tutoring session

Emily's POV

Near the end of lunch, I was at my locker, when Calum came out of nowhere.

"Hey!" he said, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Hey," I said back, smiling as we pulled out.

"Are you doing anything after school? I was thinking we could go to the movies and then go out to eat or something," he suggested.

I frowned. "I'd love to, but I have to tutor Luke tonight," I rolled my eyes. "Maybe tomorrow?" I offered.

"Aw, that's too bad. But I can't tomorrow, we'll have to do it another day," he said, pouting out his bottom lip.

"Yeah, another day," I agreed, with a nod of my head.

"Want me to walk you to your next class?" Calum asked me.

"If you don't mind, I guess." I smiled. He returned the smile and began to walk next to me.

"So tutoring Luke, huh? I don't suppose he's been to any tutoring sessions?" he asked. He could guess anything.

"Unsurprisingly, no." I told him.

Calum laughed a bit. "I didn't think that he would. I really don't like him. He's such a dick."

"I agree with that." I replied, and we both started laughing.

. . . . . . . . . .

Once school was over, instead of hurrying to the bus stop, I quickly walked over to the library. It didn't surprise me when look wasn't already there. I made my way over to a two seater table, pulled my bag onto the table, and took out my math book.

A good ten minutes later, Luke finally walked into the library. His eyes scanned the room, until they landed on me, and he walked over to the table I was sitting at.

He slumped in the chair and sat there with his arms crossed.

"Okay, so what should we start with? How about-" I started.

"Nothing. I'll sit in these 'tutor lessons', but I don't need tutoring," he said.

"Luke," I began, but he cut me off again.

"Shut up Emily. I already told you."

So we sat there in silence. After at least 20 minutes, I started talking.

"Luke, I cancelled on my friend tonight to tutor you, I'm not just going to sit here in silence every other day for an hour and a half. If this is all we're going to do, we might as well just leave." I told him. My bravery surprised him, and even me.

His lips curved into a smirk. "First time I've ever heard you speak a clear sentence or fight back at me. Carry on then, teach me some math," he told me, the smirk still on his face.

"Okay, so should I start with some easy stuff? Do you know anything about fractions? Like, how to multiply and divide them?" I asked him. I was getting nervous already, one of the reasons why I asked so many questions.

"Nope. My teacher was shit. That's why I'm bad at math," he told me. "Or the fact that I don't give a fuck," he muttered, but I still heard him.

"Okay, so let's start with multiplying fractions," I said, ignoring what he had said about his teacher.

. . . . . . . . . .

I spent the next hour explaining to Luke about how to multiply fractions, and how to divide them as well. Once he started understanding, I gave him a few problems to answer, and he was really getting then hang of it.

"Okay, so that's it really, I guess I'm gonna go," I told him, scratching the back of my neck. I gathered my things, picked up my bag, and began walking away.

"Oh, Emily?" Luke called me back. I turned around to look at him. "Don't think that we're friends now, just because you're tutoring me. Nothing's changed," he said.

I nodded, turning back around and hurrying to the bus stop.