Chapter eight-Nightpaw

Nightpaw was officially fed up with being trapped in Flowerpaw's body. Everyone was treating him differently, he had to act differently, he couldn't take his own final assessment and to top it all off, the only she-cat who even liked him now thought he was a fox-heart. He needed his own life back.

"Come on." He flicked his tail at Flowerpaw, indicating for her to follow, and stormed towards the medicine cats' den. Maplefur's scent clung to the entrance, and he quickly poked his head in to make sure she was there, and only her.

He cleared his throat to get the medicine cat's attention, then stepped inside with Flowerpaw trailing behind him.

"Hello Flowerpaw," Maplefur meowed, looking at Nightpaw.

Does she know we switched bodies? he thought inwardly.

"What can I do for you?" she continued.

Flowerpaw pushed past Nightpaw angrily, her black fur standing on end. Nightpaw still couldn't get used to the fact that Flowerpaw looked like him, well, more like she was in his body.

"Switch us back!" Flowerpaw shouted, thrusting her muzzle right in front of the medicine cat's face. "We know you know, so whatever you did to make this happen, undo it!"

For a moment, Maplefur looked taken aback, but she quickly regained her composure and looked directly into Flowerpaw's amber eyes.

"I've no idea what you're talking about," the red medicine cat stated calmly.

"Oh, don't act dumb!" Flowerpaw screeched, interrupting Nightpaw as he took a breath to speak. "We know you somehow switched us around, and we want our lives back!"

Nightpaw just nodded in agreement, not daring to interrupt Flowerpaw when she was this furious.

"Well you seem to be acting the same as usual so..." Maplefur mewed cheekily, her tail flicking.

Finally Nightpaw spoke up. "Please, we just want our normal lives back," he pleaded desperately. He could see Maplefur's gaze soften, and he felt Flowerpaw relax slightly beside him.

"You two seem to be getting along better," Maplefur observed. "Looks like my plan is working."

"So you did plan it!" Flowerpaw marvelled, her tail starting to lash again. "I knew it!"

Nightpaw looked anxiously at the medicine cat. "So can you put us back to normal?" he asked her quietly.

Maplefur looked away from him for a moment. He could see her whiskers quivering as she thought of her answer.

"I'll talk to StarClan about it on my next trip to the Moonpool," Maplefur answered.

Flowerpaw bristled and Nightpaw started to get agitated again.

"The next half-moon is still half a moon away!" Flowerpaw cried indignantly. "We'll be waiting for sunrises!"

"Yeah!" Nightpaw joined in, his booming voice echoing around the den. "We've only been swapped for a few sunrises and we can't stand it!"

"Well you're going to have to stand it because I don't feel like you've sufficiently learned your lesson!" Maplefur declared as she stepped closer to the two apprentices.

Nightpaw knew he wanted to do nothing more than swipe the smug medicine cat's face for ruining his life, but he knew there was no sense in arguing. That's what got him into this mess in the first place.

Flowerpaw, on the other hand, was fuming. Nightpaw watched as the black fur along her spine rose, and she bared her teeth.

Is that really what I look like when I'm angry?