Chapter One

Ever since I was little, it has been a bit more challenging for me to connect with the earth to access my given fairy gifts. This is solely due to my being half-fairy, just like me never getting wings is due to being half-fairy. I have to push myself daily to keep up in my studies where my cousins pretty much get by with doing half-assed jobs.

  Feeling the soft petals between my fingers, I can practically see the connection with the earth which can be described as a silver lining. The wind picks up, delicately lifting my hair and causing the windchimes to go off and goosebumps appear over my body. I'm sitting in the grass feeling each individual blade grow around me. There is a thrilling feeling that rises in me anytime I practice my gifts, it is almost addictive.

Once I open my eyes, I frown deeply... Yet again, I failed. Sure the grass is a tad bit taller but not much else has happened. The dandelions are still just a few scattered across the lawn, the pool reeks of chlorine, and the weeping willow tree that has lanterns hanging from it is just the same. I can hear the next-door neighbors speaking to one another. I let my eyes close so I can focus on my next attempt.

A loud splash has my eyes flying open in time to see a redhead pop her head out of the water. She can't be any older than eight or nine, meaning she is my mom's neighbor Valory, and the angry-looking blonde male is her elder brother, Loncaren or Lonny. Lonny is much how my mother described him. He's cute in the boy-next-door kinda way, he's average height, slightly tan, and stunning dark brown eyes. Even the cut across his thin lips doesn't decrease his chances of becoming undeniably stunning. His nose is a little large but it doesn't take away from the high cheekbones that proudly poke from his face along with a cute splatter of freckles. "You know we have to ask Miss. Racheal before we just dive in Val!" His smooth voice scolds.

  The little girl gapes at her brother before turning towards me. Her offended look changes to shock as she desperately looks back at her brother. "Lonny! There's a girl!" She whisper-shouts. Her red hair sticks to her round chubby face. I can feel the smile tug at my lips as she skeptically looks at me.

"I'm Jezza."

"I know, as should you Valory. I'm Lonny. Your mom lets us come over all the time to swim," he says slowly. He seems unsure if I would believe him but I already know. Mom told me that she lets the kids next door come swim with a few of their friends. She says they are good kids with horrible parents so if she can give them the escape they need she would be more than happy to. My mom is a very sweet and trusting woman and I hope to be even a fraction as great as she is one day.

"Seems like my mother has been talking about the both of us huh? It's nice to meet you."

"You too. Mind if we use the pool and a few friends come?" I shake my head before standing and dismissing myself inside. I clean up the kitchen for my mom, trying to ignore the bunch outside that seems to be having a blast together. I know making friends would help me blend in but just the thought makes me shiver. It never turns out well when people get close to me. They always betray me and much like my mother I can trust too easily as well as fall hopelessly in love but that's beside the point.  I shake my head deciding to go take a hot shower. That'll relax me which is something I desperately need.

  After what seems like an eternity in the shower, I get out wrapping the bright yellow towel around me. I honestly did not want to get out, if I could I would sleep in the hot steamy water but despite all my regrets to end my affair things have gotten rather icy. The warmth seemed to fill all the voids in me making me seem almost whole but that is only temporary. Opening the bathroom door I peek my head out making sure the coast is clear before bolting to my bedroom to get ready for bed. Ruffling through my dresser I grab some of my undies along with a sleeping shirt and set them on the dresser before brushing the edges of my hair.