one

—SATURDAY

SATURDAY

"dallas? are you alright?" darry asked while speaking on the phone. the whole gang was at the house, trying to listen. pony had warned us he wasn't doing very good.

"yeah, yeah, here she is." he said worriedly, nodding at me to come over. i'm not super close with dallas, he teases me every so often but my brothers keep an eye whenever he's around. specially darry.

i walk over to the phone and speak into it "hello?" i ask, leaning against the wall.

"annalise? i...can you meet me at the park?" he asked, huffing, out of breath.

"why, what's up?" i start but he cuts me off.

"please. i don't have a lot of time." he says and hangs up. i bring the phone down from my ear and sigh.

the boys are all looking at me confused. "he wants me to meet him at the park. said it's important."

i start running toward the park, a million thoughts going through my head. why does he want me there? why wouldn't he ask the boys to come? am i being set up?

either way, i bet the boys are a few minutes behind me. they wouldn't leave me alone with him knowingly.

i hear sirens, multiple sirens. i start running faster. it's not that i don't care for dallas, i'm just not close with him. but i'd do anything for him. i'd do anything for anyone in the gang.

i make it to the park, and i see police cars huddled everywhere.

"you'll never get me alive!" i hear. it's dallas. i see him a couple feet away, but it's too late. he'd been shot multiple times.

i scream. "dallas! stop shooting!" i yell as i run over as fast as i can. my vision is blurred with tears, my body is trembling, my face dripping with sweat and rain. my hearing drowned out by the sirens.

the police try to grab me, but i pull away. "he's just a kid!" i yell at them. they say something in return, but i couldn't hear. i run over to dallas, crawling his way over to me.

he falls onto his back, i sit down and rest his head on my lap. stroking my hand through his wet hair, i look over to my side and see the gang running down the street.

"i'm sorry.." he pushes out, wincing in pain. i wipe his tears away, trying to comfort him "shh, shh, it's okay. you're gonna be okay."

i can hear the boys yelling at the cops, few out of anger, few trying to get dallas help, and then i see pony passed out, in the middle of the street.

i look at dallas' body, he's losing so much blood. his lip is cut, his clothing torn. as i continue to brush my hand through his hair, i grab one of his hands and hold it.

i think he notices how scared i am. "it's too much, isn't it?" he whispers. i give him a puzzled look; he takes a sharp, painful breath "the blood..there's too much.." he says weakly.

i cry even more. pony wouldn't be able to handle losing two of his closest friends in one night.

"no, no..you're fine. you're gonna be alright" i continue to repeat through sobs.

dallas is still conscious, just not talking. it hurts him too much. finally, i hear an ambulance coming up.

"you're gonna be okay," i say again "you gotta stay with us, alright? you're getting help." i finish as i get pulled away from him by a police officer, i scream and kick trying to get out of their grip.

i watch as he gets pulled into the ambulance, darry comes over and pulls me into a hug.

"i gotta be in there with him." i say. darry looks at me with some confusion, considering the fact he doesn't like me being alone with him, but he lets me considering what had happened.

"sure, kid. go on, hurry up."

i run over to the back of the ambulance and hop in, the passenger of the car shutting it behind me.

they have him somewhat bandaged up, though he's still loosing blood.
"hey.." i say, grabbing one of his hands and stroking it with my thumb.

"i promise you're gonna be okay.." i put my hand on his face, wiping a tear away. "stay with us, you hear me?" i lean back and rest my head on the wall.

johnny cade, dallas' best friend died tonight. pony's best friend too, but he was the only one dallas ever had a strong relationship with. i think pony may be growing on him though.

i notice his st. christopher necklace that he always wears. the doctors would probably take it off, so that it doesn't mess up scans and stuff. i take it into my own hands and put it around my neck, so that it stays safe.

we arrive at the hospital, it wasn't too long of a drive. dallas had either fallen asleep or passed out on the ride there.

the doors of the ambulance swing open, i jump out and they hurriedly take dallas out and lay him on a stretcher, and the nurses wheel him in.