Thirteen

Being dressed by Prince had been strange, the borrowed clothing from one of his younger brothers from when they were the equivalent of my age feeling even stranger in the way that my skin is not used to clothing so very soft... His nose had wrinkled so funnily when he had smelled the garments and taking a moment to hold them to his chest before carefully peeling me out of the clothes he had found me in yesterday to help me step into the ones that had been so graciously provided for me, his hands being what had kept me steady... He had said not a word about the state of my body as he helped me change his eyes never lingering on any certain part of me long enough to feel self-conscious... And he had said nothing other than quiet words of thanks when I had stepped forward to assist him with the buttoning of his own shirt just like he had with mine... It had felt so intimate readying each other for the day, but I had not been able to find anything in my heart telling me that it was inappropriate... It only felt calm and soothing for us both...

But even stranger still is sitting on Prince Edmunds's lap in front of my family while we wait for his mother to join us before we cut to the quick... Mama and Papa both staring at me in horrified fascination as I cling to the vampire who had saved me in so many different ways in the last day... The Prince very much seeming to encourage my want to lean into him... His hand stroking my hair every time I feel inclined to hide my face in the crook of his neck to try and get away from their questioning stares. I know it must be shocking for them to see me accepting affection from a stranger... From the future King himself no less... And all bundled up in strange clothes... 

...

Edmund

...

Jasper's parents look just as I had expected them to, like they had been up all night worried about their son sleeping in a strange place while so ill... They hadn't known that I would take such great care of my Beloved, though I am afraid that it might be currently frightening them slightly to watch it in action as I cradle him closer and press my lips just ever so lightly to the top of his hair... Most of the humans that we rule over are very aware that we are in fact predators though we have done our best to move long past the days of blindly hunting and using them solely as food... But the instinctual fear still sometimes lingers, though I think that the look in their eyes might have more to do with the sight of Jasper so willingly offering up submission in exchange for the comfort of my arms. 

They do not have time to verbalize their questions before my Mother finally shows herself, Carilynn tagging along with a gift box of what smells like sweet confections carried ever so calmly in her palms, only to be placed on the tea table that is currently set between Jasper and I and his parents, the two older humans standing promptly at the appearance of their Queen, Jasper being held still in my lap with a quiet whisper to let him know that until he is stronger there is no need for him to follow the urge to bow in politeness like his parents are currently doing... His parent's curtsey and bow are held until my mother holds up her hand and insists, "Enough of all of that. Come now. Let us all sit and enjoy the treat my daughter has fetched so that she might share it with us. Edmund.

Mother is curt when she greets me, but the moment Jasper pulls his face from my neck she's all happy smiles and sunshine, her tone softening as she steps forward to pinch his cheeks gently, "Jasper, Darling! It's so good to see you awake. You must tell us how you feel else I shall never be able to focus on anything else!"

...

Jasper

...

It is beyond bizarre to be addressed so plainly by the Queen, my face mirroring my parent's shock as we watch the Queen settle herself in a nearby chair, the Princess trailing not far behind her, the chair she chooses being moved by one of the butlers so that she might sit closer to Prince Edmund, her hand starting me when it finds its way into my lap to hold my own with the brightest of smiles on her face. 

"I-I am well. Prince Edmund has been very kind in allowing me more medicine this morning." In fact there is a cup of the very same mixture that had brought me such great relief sitting in front of us on the tea table that had been prepared for me to sip on whenever my chest might start to ache again... My parent's not needing to find out that I have already consented to the brew made up of tea mixed with Prince Edmund's blood... No... He had warned me that that detail needn't reach my parent's ears... Just that it is medicine. 

"That is excellent, Dear. We are all very happy that we were able to provide you some relief!" The Queen releases me from her strange gaze and chooses to focus on my parents, a gentle exchange of names happening before she inquires politely on the short ride they had taken to find themselves here in one of the many great drawing rooms here at the palace, staring at me as I cling to the Prince next in line for the throne. 

"A-Are we allowed to take Jasper home now?  If he's alright?" The way Papa's voice waivers when he's brave enough to ask the question nearly has me climbing out of Prince Edmund's lap in an effort to try and comfort the man who had done his best to try and make my life as easy as he could so that I might be able to stay with them on this earth just that much longer... Only to be stopped by Edmund with a gentle hand that moves up to caress my cheek. 

"That's what I was hoping to discuss with you today, I do so hope you have the time."