First Words

Enjoy!

"Alrighty, it's getting late. You really need to go to sleep"

Donnie said as he entered his room and placed Kale inside her crib, but once he put her down she stood up as her bottom lip began to tremble as she was about to cry.

"It's okay, we all need to go to sleep, it's way past your bedtime."

He said as he thought of a way to get her to sleep.

"I know how about a storybook"

He said as he went to get her a book and placed it on the bed as he got her out of the crib.

"Okay, let's read this one. The Very Hungry Caterpillar"

Donnie said as he sat on his bed with his shell against the wall and his daughter on his lap as she leaned her shell to his chest as she sucks on her bottle as she listens to her father read her a bedtime story. Everyone else had already gone to their rooms to sleep.

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on the leaf. One Sunday morning the warm sun came up and pop! - out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar. He started to look for some food. Do you see the hungry caterpillar?"

Donnie asked. Kale looked up at her father and smiled as she tap the book.

"Okay let's continue. On Monday he ate through one apple, but he was still hungry. On Tuesday he ate through two pears but he was still hungry. On Wednesday he ate through three plums. On Thursday he ate through four strawberries but he was still hungry. On Friday he ate through five oranges but he was still hungry. On Saturday he ate through one piece of chocolate cake"

He said as he looked down to see if his daughter was still awake but she was her eyes were half lid open. He cleared up his throat as he continue to read.

"One ice cream cone, one pickle, one slice of swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon. That night he had a tummy ache."

Donnie stop reading as he looked down to see Kale rubbing her eyes sleepily as she remove the bottle from her mouth as she snuggle up closer to her father's chest. Donnie smiled as he pulled up her warm blanket to cover her up. He then continue with the story.

"The very hungry caterpillar then ate through one green leaf. He started to feel better. He built a small house called a cocoon around himself. He stayed inside for more than two weeks. Then he nibbled a small hole in the cocoon, pushed his way out and... A beautiful butterfly. The end."

Donnie said softly to see his daughter had fallen asleep. He gently lift her up and was careful not to wake her up as he placed her on the crib beside his bed. He turn on a lullaby tune for to keep her asleep. As Donnie was about to walk away, Kale open her eyes slightly.

"Da"

She said loud and clear before snuggling under her blanket. Donnie felt his heart burst as he turn back at his daughter that was now asleep.

"Her first word. She said her first word. I'm her first word."

He said excitedly as he wanted to shout happily, and wake up his brothers but he decided against it and simply smile.

"It can wait until tomorrow"

He said as he leaned over the crib and gave her a kiss on the forehead. He made his way to turn off the light lamp and turn on a night light of stars illuminating the ceiling. He soon went to bed with a proud smile.

*Next Morning*

"Here look, she actually says it. Go on Kale do it again"

Donnie said excitedly as he held Kale out in his arms towards his brothers.

"Da-Da!"

She yelled happily as Donnie embraced her.

"That's right!"

Donnie said proudly. Just then April and Casey drop by for a visit.

"Hey you guys, what's going on?"

April asked.

"Kale said her first word"

Leo said with a smile.

"Really? What was it?"

"Da-Da"

Mikey answered. April smile and an idea pop into her head.

"Hey, Don do you mind if I try something?"

She asked.

"Sure. What is it?"

He asked as he handed his daughter to April.

"I want to see if she recognizes you without your mask and weapon. I want the four of you to stand together and switch your mask and not say a peep."

The four brothers looked at each other and nodded. Casey distracted Kale while the brothers quickly switch their mask.

"Okay, now let's put her to the test. Go to Da-Da."

She said putting Kale down on the ground. Kale stood up on her feet and looked to the four mutants and happily walked to the Raph who was wearing Donnie's purple mask but she slightly frown and walked away before happily going to Donnie who was wearing Mikey's orange mask.

"Da-Da!"

She said as she embrace his leg. Donnie smiled as he bend down to pick her up.

"She knows me. April, there's something I been meaning to ask you and Casey"

Donnie said with a smile.

"Sure, what is it?"

"I was thinking if you and Casey can be Kale's guardians"

"Really? Why not your brothers?"

Casey asked.

"Let's face it, our lives are always in danger but with you guys, I know she will be safe. I have already talk to my brothers and they agreed it was the best choice"

Donnie explain. April happily grabbed Kale from Donnie.

"Of course we can be her guardians"

"Um April, you don't want to at least discuss this first before we...."

Casey began to say but April cut him off.

"There is nothing to discuss. We are all family here and maybe this could be a good practice for us when we decide to finally have a kid"

April said as she nuzzled Kale but Kale squirm from the touch.

"Sorry, about that, she only likes it when I do that"

Donnie said sheepishly.

A/N Rate and Comment