Chapter 8

Thinking of Mr. Withers advice, Ivar threw it out. In a way, he knew how he was right but the solution was not for his to fix. Whatever Ray gotten himself into it had to be no more than drugs or ? “I mean really, why can’t his Dad do something? Even then, why me? Why not one of the teachers or Mr. Withers? He’s just not my friend anymore and it’s not my problem.”

Ken finally stood up and walked to the tree. “You know Ray. We have never climbed it all the way to the top.”

“Yeah, and there’s a good reason for it Ken.” Ray said boldly. Overlooking it again, he noticed how lively it was, but also withered. Truly, the fear of it falling over never did strike him more. “Umm, Ken I think I am just going home.”

“Ray you can’t leave me here!” Ray stepped back fearfully thinking of just running away.

“Ken, I need to get home.”

“Why? To do what? Homework? Talk to your dad? Just hang out here with me.”

Ray started to notice an overwhelming charge of orders from Ken. He seemed so different now. Bossy and reluctant of Ray’s feelings, he didn’t realize what he should do.

Arthur sat at home smoking his cigarettes and reading a magazine. Pacing to the door, he saw the other children walking home from school. “It is unlike that boy to not at least stop by before leaving to do something else.” Arthur becoming impatient got in his car to drive around the town.

He began with the basketball court. Seeing Todd and Ivar there, he kept driving until Dan appeared by the local drug store.

Pulling up in his old sedan Arthur walked up to Dan. “Hey, have you seen my boy?” Dan already showing fear explained how he had been sick. He has just been getting a prescription to feel better. “Well if you see him, tell him to get his ass home!” Arthur demanded.

“Wait!” Dan said coarsely, “He is probably at Osceola woods, the old cemetery.”

Arthur speed in reverse and wildly turned off the road to where Dan told him.

Ken kept climbing the tree and hanging from it using his long arms. “Come on Ray, just climb with me.” Ray looked over from sitting on his favorite tree root. He just didn’t understand how such frustration came directed at him all the time; Ever since Dan hasn’t been around, than Ken attacks him. “I said I really don’t want to.” Ray said in disgrace.

“Well I just don’t know what you want to do anymore. I’ve been by your side listening to your problems, and when I ask for one favor, you just shit on it.”

Arthur drove up and slammed his car door. Walking like his boots were too heavy, his feet hit the ground fiercely. Arthur about started yelling when he saw Ray sitting slouched over talking loudly. It was like he was in a fierce argument and he was losing. Arthur felt this day would come. “Ray! Get your ass over here!” Arthur screamed. Ray paying no attention to Ken ran over hugging his dad.

"Ray, I think its time you hear why your mother actually left" Ray stepping back looked up with sad eyes. "Dad?" Ray said. Arthur started walking towards the car motioning for Ray to follow.