Her Single Heart

Son Yejin. Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Chemistry at Seoul National University. 38. Single.

Thirteen words she's come to memorize that night as her sister, Ji-hye, repeatedly uttered them as she introduced her to the other guests at their cousin's bridal shower. As if it would matter since all of them are girls. "You won't know, maybe one of them has a bachelor friend or relative! I'm not losing hope for you!"

Yejin glared at her, exasperated at her sister's antics. Her countless times of reminding her that she's not that in a hurry to be in a relationship seemed futile. And not only for her, but to almost everyone around her circle. Why can't they accept the fact that she can be single and happy? That she doesn't need a man for them to consider her a "normal" human being? Well, at least, she understands them, their concern for her. Being the youngest of four and with their parents being gone for almost 7 years now, her siblings, all married and raising their beautiful families, couldn't help but worry about her. Though she's stable and successful, they still couldn't keep their frustration in not seeing her settle down, as if their parents have handed them the burden of getting their youngest get married. Through numerous blind dates which she declined and many other means of setting her up with their friends' relatives, their "desperate" ways seemed to tone down to just merely blurting out their frustrations and shouting out to the world that she's single, to the very least. Just like tonight.

After mingling with the guests, the party proceeded with games and activities which they participated and enjoyed. Why would she need a man if she can enjoy things like this? She's happy, she told herself. After the games, the soon to be bride started to open her gifts, which the guests presented one by one. Her cousin enjoyed the array of gifts presented to her, from kitchen tools to lingeries of varying fabrics and colors. Soon, messages were given to the bride, as tears flow due to the happiness everyone felt for her. It was an indeed memorable night for her cousin and their family.

As she drove back to her apartment, a cloud of loneliness seemed to dawn on her. She indeed enjoy the party and was really happy for her cousin. But it's in times like this, when she's alone that reality hits her hard and she's vulnerable. She knows this feeling will pass but she can't help but also ask herself, when, why, how, who? Will her single heart finally find its match? Her defenses seem to break down, finally admitting to herself, that yes, she needs someone.

🚗🚗🚗

At her apartment, Yejin finished her evening rituals and was finally on her bed when her phone rang. One of her best friends' name, Lee Jung-hyun, flashed on the screen. "Hello, my dear!" She can see Min's smile with her cheerful voice. "How was the party?"

"It's great, everyone enjoyed. We had fun, and yeah, they really like my set up." She told her proudly, referring to the lovely dessert table she setup for her cousin's shower. She was lost in her thoughts that she forgot to enjoy the praises given to her that evening. Decorating is one of her hobbies that turned into a useful skill for her family and friends.

"Yeah, I saw the pictures in IG! It was lovely, you nailed it again, my friend. I wonder when are you going to turn that hobby of yours into business. I'll be your partner!"

"In time, my dear. I just enjoy doing it right now for free for my family and friends. It would put a lot of pressure on me if I turn it into business. And besides, as if I have time in my hands. You know how busy I get when the semester starts. Anyway, back to business, why are you calling me Madam at this time?"

"Well, I just wanna finalize the design for Thirdy's party next Saturday, before I forget.You know, my memory seems to not function normally now after giving birth to my two little kittens. I've discussed it with Nam-jung and he agreed to my choice, the Safari one." She replied, referring to her husband and her soon to be one year old son they nicknamed Thirdy.

"Nice pick! Okay, I'll prepare the materials for that then. I'll send you the details this week. It's on me, it's my birthday gift for Thirdyboy."

"Okay just send me the details and the budget, we'll share with you, don't pay for it all. You still have to save for your future kids!"

"Dont start it, Lee Jung-hyun!"

Hearing her full name, Jung-hyun knew her friend's getting pissed off. "Ooops..just saying.."

"Okay okay, I guess I've heard too much for the night. And I guess I have to be prepared for every party I'll attend."

"Yeah, you should. We won't budge until we see you walk down the aisle."

"Okay enough. I'm hanging up. Goodnight my friend, Nam-jung should be waiting for you."

"Hahaha good night. I couldn't wait for the day when you would say the same words to me when Mr. Good Person waits for you on the bed." With that, Jung-hyun hung up on her before she could call her out.

She sighed heavily. Her Good Person. Her friend picked that up from her answer whenever she will be asked what does she look for in a man. She answered back then, she doesn't care about the looks, she just wants him to be nice. A good person, that's what she wants. Someone good enough to not break her heart.. to never make her doubt about them, about the future.. good enough to make her single heart trust again after having been broken thrice in the past.. A good person who will take care of her heart. Where could he be?

 Where could he be?

🌸🌸🌸

🌸🌸🌸

Hello, I updated this chapter and changed some character names, based now on the real life friends of Yejin.I also tried using funsta for some fictional IG posts.All pictures are from the internet, ctto.See you in the next chapter! 😊