Chapter Two

It was only after they were on the road again, safe and sound after their victory, did (F/N) remember the strange restrictions placed on the two demons that attacked them last night. Had the Temari demon had no balms towards killing or injuring (F/N), the girl would no doubt not be standing here so unharmed as she was right now.

In the end, (F/N) still needed Nezuko's help to win the battle- the very sister she sought to protect from them. Again, she cursed herself for her weakness. If she could not finish a fight on her own, how can she trust herself not to be a burden? She did not have her younger sister's demon physique. She did not have her brother's otherworldly sense of smell. What was she left with?

Tanjirou seemed to sense his sister's worsening mood as they walked alongside the sunny, dusty road on their way to their next mission.

"(F/N)? Are you alright?"

She forced an unconvincing smile onto her face. "Yes, brother. I'm fine." It was clear that the girl did not wish to discuss it any further. Her brother kindly complied with her wishes.

"It's cruel how Muzan lied to them." Tanjirou filled in that dark silence with his pondering words, referring back to the 'Twelve demon moons' they had fought previously. "Yushiro and Tamayo and everyone else- they're suffering just as much from Muzan as we are."

"They're so kind," She mumbled appreciatively, her gloomy air abandoned. (F/N) hardly wanted to drag the mood down any further. She was not a child and she would not pout. The tiny female brushed off her previous thoughts and commented gratefully.

"To be honest-" (F/N) gave a low chuckle and glanced at the box on Tanjirou's back. "-I had no idea where to start for our mission for Nezuko. Now we have a direction thanks to them. I'm eternally grateful for that."

"Hm. We have to get stronger. Stronger until we can defeat all twelve demon moons and turn Nezuko back."

"Don't you dare leave me in the dust." (F/N) smiled and bumped her shoulder against her brother.

"No," the young boy smiled back just as brightly. "You made it clear we are going to stick together this entire journey. Didn't we, Nezuko?" Tanjirou tilted his head backward, towards the direction of the wooden case he carried on his back. A delighted rapping against the wood confirmed Nezuko's enthusiastic response. (F/N) giggled, savoring the moment while it lasted. As if on cue, poised to destroy this happy moment, an unexplored suspicion worked its way up the crevice of her mind.

"Tanjirou-" (F/N) hesitated, remembering the certain words of the demon Susamaru. She deliberated whether she should give it up. "Do you, uh, remember what the demons said before? About...capturing me alive and unharmed?"

Tanjirou's eyes widened, recalling the demons' oddly specific order. "I do. Do you have any idea why?"

(F/N) shook her head. "They mentioned something about Muzan's wishes."

His face darkened. "Muzan." He murmured below his breath.

(F/N) watched her brother's face, concerned. When it came to Muzan, she wondered if he could control his anger. She dismissed the thought as quickly as it came. Her brother was the most self-restrained person she knew.

"Let's stop at a town for tonight," (F/N) suggested for good measure, purposefully guiding the conversation away. Their questions did not need to be answered now. "I know your ribs are still hurt. We are not going to get anywhere with you like this."

"But-"

"Hush." (F/N) shook her head, signaling she was not up for any complaints. "The sun is going to set soon. We are only half an hour trek away from the nearest town. You'll spend the night recuperating. It won't hurt to have Nezuko rest up from last night's battle too."