Chapter Seven

(A/N): Quick note! Thank you so much for 1k reads! Hope you enjoy

~~~~~

Kibutsuji Muzan had been sleeping. If you could even call that fitful turning sleeping. There was no denying his attempt had been pathetic and nothing short of a failure.

His slumber was riddled with tossing and turning. No amount of sedatives could coax his insomnia into giving in. Even the best physicians across the land could not figure out what- just what- was keeping Kibutsuji Muzan in this dreadful state of unrest.

If they have such luxury of time, Muzan thought in disdain, they should be attempting to cure my illness.

He did not need a cure for his insomnia. It was vexing but he knew very well what was the cause of his loss of sleep. Or who, should he say. If it was something medicine could cure, he would have taken it long ago.

Needless to say, Muzan had not slept a wink last night. Now, he was cooped in his humid room at the middle of noon, fixing his eyelids shut in hopes that the incessant thoughts of her would just disappear.

"Young master." A voice echoed behind the screen, outside his private chamber. "Are you awake?"

Muzan felt irritated. He did not think he had to threaten his servants to leave him alone for the day. Surely they have heard of his temper enough to avoid disrupting him unless necessary. He kept in mind to not be so lenient next time.

"What is it?" Muzan did not bother to hide the annoyance in his voice. He rose from an inclining position. "What is so important that you need to rouse me from my sleep?" Not that he had been sleeping.

The servant fell silent. A different voice spoke up, a familiar and welcoming one that plagued all of Muzan's sleeping and waking hours.

"Is this not a good time, Kibutsuji-Sama?" (F/N) apologized. "I can come back at a better time."

"Lady Fujiwara." His eyes fluttered. "Of course you are welcomed. Servant, prepare to her, then leave us."

The door rolled open. A soft wind blew over the room. The scent of fresh earth washed over him. Muzan was suddenly incredibly conscious of his ill state and hated everything with a fervor. He hated how he was bed-ridden. He hated how he could not even stand to greet his beloved. He hated those doctors, who claim they could cure him.

The spite vanished when Fujiwara (F/N) stepped into the room. She locked eyes and gave him one of her brightest smiles.

No matter how many times he has seen her already, she never once stops to take his breath away.

(F/N) was not dressed as lavishly as the other ladies of the court. Quite plainly this time in fact. She did not bother with layering her Ni-hito excessively and left her hair cascading across her back. Muzan noted the excited spark in her eyes and her triumphant grin that immediately told him that (F/N) was up to mischief. She took a seat in front of his tatami bed.

"Where's your attendant?" Muzan noticed there was no one trailing behind her. Not that he minded. He took whatever pieces of privacy he could get with (F/N).

"I- uh- She might be busy." (F/N)'s face reddened and she looked everywhere else but him.

"You are a terrible liar, (F/N)."

"There goes my career in Court." She sighed.

"I wouldn't say that, (F/N). Lying is not the only asset you need to do well."

"Right. I have my good looks too." (F/N) joked.

"...Let me revise my statement. Lying and good looks are not the only assets you need. Surely there is something else working in your favor."