Chapter Three

Agatsuma Zenitsu was a strange person. (F/N) had never met anyone like him. It was not that she hated him. She was just a little confused. After all, she never had anyone propose to her just seconds after their initial meeting. While no doubt most of the proposals from her fellow yellow-haired demon slayer were met with hard denial (as seen from Zenitsu's haggling with the previous female pedestrian), it was in (F/N)'s nature to take any confessions of love seriously.

Which brings us to the current situation of a blushing, apologetic girl, explaining exactly why she could not marry the boy, accompanied by a livid looking Tanjirou, hovering over the girl's shoulder.

"I'm going to die! I'm going to die next time I'm on a job! I'm super weak and don't think I'm exaggerating! Before I die, please! Please! I just wanna get married!" The boy before her sniveled, tears streaming down in waterfalls. Pity and concern bloomed in (F/N)'s heart.

"I'm sorry, Zenitsu-San but I can't marry you," (F/N) fiddled her fingers nervously.

"Whyyyyyyy???? I thought you loved me!! You even stopped to ask me if I was okay!" The wail was accompanied by more tears.

"Well, you see"- (F/N) hastily coughed -"I believe marriage should be a product of love. And I, uh, only met you five minutes ago. Is that not a bit too hasty? Also-"

"Also! I don't approve!" Tanjirou interjected, fuming. "Just what makes you worthy of dating my (F/N)?! She's the beauty of our town! Beautiful, kind, hardworking, smart, and determined. I will not"- (F/N) quickly hushed her brother, face burning bright red due to her inability to receive compliments.

Zenitsu wailed louder. "So she's your girlfriend!! Of course! Of course! You people will never understand the woes of a single, forever lonely virgin. I'll be left to die on my own. I'll be dead by tomorrow. I'm going to die. I'm going to-"

"No! No! Tanjirou's my brother!" (F/N) broke off the boy's lament. "And besides, Zenitsu, you're not going to die."

"There are no guarantees though." Tanjirou was still poised nearby with an ominous expression carved onto his normally easy-going features.

(F/N) sighed and swatted at her brother's shoulder before turning back to the cowering boy. "You're fine! Trust me. It's safer if we all stick together anyway. Come with us until you feel better. We're all working towards the same thing anyway. You don't have a thing to worry about."

"Really?" Zenitsu hiccuped through his tears. "You'll protect me then?"

"Mhmm," (F/N) smiled warmly. "We all will." Eventually, the girl managed to get the boy up and walking. The group passed the rice paddy fields while Zenitsu disclosed how exactly he got into this demon slaying dilemma, monologuing his entire life tragedy.

Tanjirou gradually loosened his glowering expression and developed one of understanding. "I understand what you are going through," he gently comforted. "But please, don't cause any more trouble for the sparrow."

"Eh...Causing trouble for the sparrow?" Zenitsu blinked in surprise. "How did you know?"

Tanjirou cleared his throat and adopted a slightly different voice than usual. More pitched and less rounded. "Zenitsu is always like this and never wants to go to work. He goes after women whenever he sees one and he snores really loudly. Endless trouble one after another..." Tanjirou paused, then pointing to the sparrow. "That's what it said."

Zenitsu's eyes bulged. "It's talking about me right now?! You can understand bird language?"

"Yes." Tanjirou stared at Zenitsu, confused as to where the questioning was going. His expression seemed to implore as if this was not a normal ability.