finn ; we never change

⬆️inspired by "we never change" by coldplay. ⬆️

y/n's pov

i sat in bed waiting for finn to come home from "work". i actually don't think he was where he said he was. we've been having a lot of issues lately. fighting and arguing, pretty much constantly on each other's case. it tore me apart. finn and i have been together since we were 14. we were each other's first everything, but i could feel us beginning to drift apart. i planned on talking about it with him when he got home
looking back at it, i don't even remember the last time we went two days without fighting. this all started about five months ago when rumors went around that finn was cheating. i asked him about it and we had a huge argument over it, and it hasn't stopped since then. we've tried to talk things out and solve the problem, but it's just not working.
i heard the front door open and i panicked, as all the words i wanted to say left my mind. finn walked into the bedroom a few seconds later.
"hey uh- sorry i stopped my quincys. i just needed to get out of the house." he told me. i stayed silent. tears threatened to spill my eyes.
"hey are you okay babe? what's wrong!?" finn asked quietly, sitting beside me.
"finn..." i blinked harshly, allowing the tears to spill down my red cheeks do i could see clearly again.
"we need to talk." i said to him, looking into his eyes. his eyes went from worry, to confusion, to fear on only a few seconds.
"no, no y/n i know the past few months have been rough and i know we haven't been getting along the best lately and i know it's been rough but please... i beg you... don't leave me." he spoke quickly, getting his feelings out before i could say anything else.
"finn... it's not that simple... we tried to fix this.. us. we tried. but i can't fight for us anymore. you can't either. you have such a huge career and you need to focus on that rather than trying to fix a broken relationship." i explained.
"no please. baby please" tears were streaming down his face at this point.
"i can't lose you. you're far more important to me than any move or show or directing position i could ever be offered, just please... can't we try to fix us one more time i can't-" i cut finn off before he could finish.
"finn no. i love you so much and this hurts me so bad but, we're not going to change. we both know that." i held back a sob as silence filled the air between us.
"we never change... do we?" i whispered.
"no... no we don't." he answered.
it was quiet for a moment before finn spoke up again.
"please... i promise i'll try harder. i know this is my fault. i'm always so tired and so stressed out and i take it out on you and i swear i won't anymore i just- i don't know what i would do with myself if you left me." finn cried. i couldn't stand to see him so hurt.
"finn..."
he looked up at me with the saddest expression.
"i thought this would be easier. i thought you wouldn't care that i- that i wanted to go. i didn't think you cared anymore." i told him.
he was silent for a few seconds before choking on a sob.
"oh my god. im such a horrible person. y/n i had no idea i was making you feel that way. fucking christ i don't deserve you. if you want to leave you can. i'm so sorry y/n. i'm sorry baby. i'm so sorry." finn hugged me tightly and cried into my neck.
"finn i really don't want to leave. i want to fix this. i want to believe that this is just a rough patch."
"it is baby. it's just a rough patch. well get better and i promise you that. i don't want you to go okay?" finn cried.
"okay. i won't go. i'm sorry."
"you have nothing to be sorry about. i'm going to be better i swear."
"i love you finn."
"i love you y/n"

time skip: 28 years

"that's the story of what you're dad and i went through." i told my 22 year old daughter.
"you and dad went through the same thing?" she asked.
"yes... we did. i've met parker. he really does love you. just talk to him about it. he'll understand, and if it doesn't get better, then leave. but don't just give up so quick, okay?"
"okay. thanks mommy." my daughter hugged me tightly.
"just remember, if he's a real, good man that truly loves you, he'll fight for you to stay." finn explained.
"i would've done anything and everything to keep your mother with me. and i guess it worked. 31 years strong."
finn and i looked at each other and smiled widely, reminiscing on the times we had when we were younger.