Chapter 1

Taylor's POV-

I let out a soft breath as I stand outside my old house. The burned wreckage still remains here, left as a memento in society. About a month ago, somebody had decided to take action against those in the higher ranks, claiming society to be disgusting and wrong, and used us an example.

My mother and I were inside of the house when the fire started. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to smoke filling my room. My mother hadn't even bothered to wake me up, she had just run out of the house to save herself. 

Neither of us could even do anything about it, since the fire had already consumed over half of the house. Well, my mother could have done something. She had made it out before then, but chose not to. 

She has never truly seen me as her daughter. She only saw me as a liability, especially when I fought her so hard on going to a fancy prep school to the west of here. I remember hearing over and over how I was disgrace to the family, and to be honest I still don't know why.

Maybe it's because I've always voiced my opinion on society, and my mother didn't exactly like that. Saying how grateful I should be, to be born of high standing. 

Fuck that shit.

The only things I was able to recover was a bit of my clothes and a couple other things. Everything else burned to the ground. 

Instead of rebuilding and cleaning up the place though, the city decided to leave it as a reminder to the higher ups that the rebels aren't to be trusted. That keeping the society the way it is, is the only way to keep order around here. 

I personally don't believe it, but I wasn't going to deny it either.

I try to come back here once a week now. After the accident, since I was eighteen my mother didn't take me with her, deciding that since I'm an adult that she isn't responsible for me anymore. 

I decided to take actions into my own hands and transfer from the fancy prep school and to a normal academy. My mother was angry with my decision, but since I'm not living with her anymore and I'm an adult, she has no say in the matter. So I chose Olympus Academy, hoping that the transfer would be easy. 

Apparently the faculty was surprised. The strongest people at the school were descendants of the muses, so I was leagues ahead of the other students.

I remembered having an old friend once who said he was a descendant of one of them. I could have sworn I saw him earlier today too during lunch, but I can't remember his name. It's been a long time since we've seen each other, and I'm sure he's changed just as much as I have. 

I pull my school bag over my shoulder as I take one last glance at my old home. I never thought I'd be sad to have had to leave this place. I guess the gods answered my prayers when I asked to be released from this prison. It's just not the way I would have liked. 

They never did catch the rebels who destroyed my house. 

The next day..

I hear my phone's alarm go off, signaling the required start of a brand new day of hell. Also known as school, where people go to learn things, move up in the world and beat each other into pulps. 

I wasn't surprised to hear that duels are encouraged at this school as well, but I'm glad they exempted the normies from it. Since the normies can't defend themselves against the magically gifted, if you get caught dueling them you get in serious trouble. Unless a normie challenges you, of course. Then it's fair game, even to the system itself.

I groan and shut off the alarm, feeling the bark of the tree I stayed in against my back. I use a little of my magic to fix my hair and clean myself up for the day. It may be the lazy way of doing things, but in my current situation I'm just trying to save up as much money as possible. 

I reach into the little pocket I had made for my stuff in the trunk of the tree, picking out an outfit for today. 

Being a descendant of Gaia does have it's perks. I can create a tree out of nowhere, even in places it normally wouldn't grow. Boom, there's a free bed and home to sleep in, as well as storage I can make myself.

Just because I'm powerful, doesn't mean I don't have my limits. As for any magic user, the more you use the more exhausted you get. Magical strain carries on to physical injuries and vice versa. Someone can faint from using too much magic, and any injuries make it difficult to use your abilities. 

I decide on a dress with a black, off shoulder top and a frilled collar. The skirt is a deep crimson color, and I top off the outfit with the same black ankle boots I wore yesterday.

Second day of school, woooooo... Can you hear the sarcasm? I hope you can hear the sarcasm. 

I internally groan again as I hear my stomach grumble, begging for some breakfast to be put into my body. Sadly I cannot fulfill it's request as I pull my black messenger bag over my shoulder. The issue with growing my own food is that I continue to move around all the time, and the plants would probably die quickly if they aren't in season or eaten by bugs.

So I choose not to, instead relying on my daily school meals. The only time I allow myself to go and buy food is on the weekends, since I don't have school then and I'd go hungry otherwise.

The walk to school isn't too much of a chore, I've just been sleeping in spots closer to campus so I wouldn't have to travel far. I look over my classes again, since I didn't attend any yesterday. I was simply given the tour since I had arrived halfway through the day and had to go through a magic entrance exam.

According to the schedule, my first class is art in room 201. I make my way to the campus easily, but finding my first class is another story. Not to mention that the second I step on campus, I can feel the stares of other students on me.

I sigh to myself as I look around, before I feel a tap on my shoulder. 

"E-excuse me..?" Someone says behind me as I turn around. He's a bit taller than me me, and I'd be lying if I said he wasn't the most beautiful man I'd ever seen. His black hair is framed around his face, and I notice he looks like he is of Korean descent. 

"You're the new transfer, right?" He asks, extending a hand. "My name is Kim Seokjin, descendant of the muse Clio."

Ah, so this is one of the muses I've heard about. I take his hand to exchange a handshake before pulling my hand away. The muses are highly ranked, equal to most gods, but that doesn't exactly impress me here.

"And you are..?" He prompts, smiling like an absolute idiot. I return his smile with a dirty look, before sighing in exasperation. 

"Taylor Lee, descendant of Gaia." I curtly respond before turning back to my schedule.

It is common courtesy that when you introduce yourself, you also state who you are descended from, unless you are a normie. "Now if you don't mind, I need to find my classes," I say, turning to walk away.

"Wait!" Seokjin says, holding his hand up to stop me. "Since you're knew, I was wondering if I could show you to your class? It also can't hurt to make some friends while you're here, right?" He suggests, and I mentally scoff at him. 

"I don't need friends," I tell him nonchalantly, folding my schedule up and putting it in my bag. "I thank you for your offer, Mr. Seokjin, but I'll have to politely refuse."

He raises a brow in confusion, but slowly nods. "If that's what you'd like, but I'll be here if you decide to change your mind. Take care," he says, waving as he heads off. I sigh in relief, at least he isn't a suck up. I had to deal with that enough at the prep school.

It takes me a few minutes, but eventually I find my class. I give myself a moment as I hear the school bell ring, and mentally prepare myself for a boring day ahead.