CHAPTER 26: "ESCAPING YOUR PAST"

We spent the rest of the day catching up on everything that happened.

He told me a few prison stories and mentioned something about joining a prison gang so he could get better chicken at some point during his sentence.

I told him a few stories and mentioned Rose once or twice.

“Honestly I’m amazed son.”

“Why?”

“How on earth did you manage to score a girl like that?”, he laughed.

I laughed and took a sip of the beer I had brought home in preparation for his return.

“I guess when the moment was right, I made the right decision", I said.

He got up and walked to the kitchen still laughing. As he reached into the fridge to grab another two beers we heard tires screeching outside. Like a car had suddenly stopped.

He peaked outside through the window but couldn’t see anything. Suddenly the door was broken open and multiple armed men came pouring through all dressed in black.

They grabbed my dad, threw him on the ground and proceeded to do the same to me.

They dragged us both to the living room and sat us down on the couch with a fair number of guns pointed to our faces.

A very well dressed man walked slowly through what was left of our doorway and approached us in the living room.

“The Rat finally walks free! I suppose they let everyone out of prison at some point. Tell me Robert, does your son know me?”, the man asked.

My dad became very aggressive.

“I’d never let him near a backstabbing snake like you!”

“Oh I’m the backstabbing snake right? The same backstabbing snake that went and nearly got my whole operation blown in New York.”

“That was a long time ago. You know that wasn’t my fault!”, he pleaded.

“Regardless, I had to deal with a lot after that mess. You’re lucky I didn’t silence you before your trial. I figured you deserve to rot in jail after you nearly ruined my life", the man said.

“Now look at where we are. Right back where we started. I’m still the poor man living in the poor neighborhood while you’re up in the hills sipping the chump change you used to pay me.”

“Oh that’s right Roberto. You see I’m a fair businessman. As a fair businessman I’ve taken some time to think and I just don’t see how your presence here in Mountain View can do any good for me. So I’ve decided to ship you and your son to Turkey. You’ll start new lives there under new names with new passports, driver’s licenses and everything else you need to live. I’ve already provided accommodation in the form of my very expensive and very secluded mansion, in a forest south of the capital.”

“Wait what! You can’t just barge in here and expect to bully us like that. Who do you even think you are?”

“I think I’m the man you owe 4 million dollars. You see Carlos, your father may have been the reason I nearly didn’t make it out of New York but I’ve never seen someone handle an operation quite as good as he did. So your options are pretty clear. Die, or work for me in Turkey and never show your faces here again.”

“Sir please, I have a life here in Mountain view, I have so much here. I can’t just leave", I pleaded.

“Unfortunately my options are only so generous. So what will it be boys.”

My dad looked at me with an expression of desperation.

“I’m sorry son, we have to go.”

I quickly learned it would be easier to accept our current circumstances rather than to fight against it.

“Okay dad.”

“Ah, then it’s all set. Your belongings wont be necessary because you will be provided with everything you need when you land and settle in Turkey tomorrow morning. It’s been a pleasure doing business with you Mr. Sanchez. Feel free to call me when you land.”

He walked out and was followed by all his men except four, who stayed behind to ensure we got to the airport and left that night.

In a process that took less than half an hour we were boarding a private jet to Turkey to start our new lives. We were still kind of in disbelief but somehow quickly became comfortable with our reality. The truth is we were set to live a much better life than our current one. I would be getting paid a lot more and I’d be living in luxury.

Rose was the only problem. I loved her so much. I couldn’t just leave her behind without even saying goodbye. I knew the kids would be in good hands but I wasn’t sure if Rose could handle me leaving.

When we landed early the next morning we were taken immediately to the mansion In the forest where we were given our new identification and documentation.

The house was actually amazing and the cars we were given were out of this world. My dad was frustrated with the move but accepted the circumstances and moved on. He would have to learn to become comfortable with our new lives.

I, on the other hand couldn’t stop thinking about Rose. She meant everything to me and probably thought I was still in Mountain View catching up with my dad.

By night fall we were fully processed and could finally begin our new lives in peace without being bothered by any guards or goons.

I took the opportunity to write a letter.

We weren’t actually allowed to communicate with anyone back in the states but I had to let Rose know I’m gone. Anything other than a letter would have been too easy to track.

So my dad helped me sneak the letter out to one of the nearby post outlets. I wasn’t expecting any reply under the circumstances so I knew that was it.

Carlos Sanchez didn’t exist anymore.

While It was difficult to get used to, I was comforted by the presence of my dad.

It was now him and I against whoever came next.

Not bad.
Not bad at all.