CHAPTER 12 : Debating, Realization... And their mistake

"We are the Phantoms"

                                                                  (Y/N)'s point of view

  - 'The... Phantoms... ?' I though, dumbfounded. Yet, I swore I've heard Charlie... The thin, ghostly puppet turned around to face Michael, still frozen in place as its fingers curled up into a fist.

  - "Which lies did you spit out this time ?!" It yelled in a screechy and glitchy voice, almost unbearable. Michael opened his mouth to speak but Nothing came out : He was terrified.

  - "I 've made you suffer, I gave you eternal life as a punishment to make you feel what we all felt for all these years... But apparently, I can see that it wasn't enough to make you learn !!!" It screamed as it kept going.

  - "You can't help yourself to tell awful lies, Don't you ?! You deserve to suffer even MORE." The ghost-like puppet kept screaming again as my eyes widened at what it said.

  - 'It's going to hurt Michael...' I thought, afraid of what was going to happen next and unable to move. Michael's eyes were wide as well, an immeasurable fear legible in his silver eyes as I could see he was shaking slightly, his tattered and green rabbit ears slightly flopped down. The ghost puppet raised its hand and stretched its fingers apart.
  All of the sudden, Michael collapsed on the floor, letting a bloodcurling scream out as he was tightly wrapping his green and withered arms around his torso in pain. I flinched at his never-ending scream as I put my (S/C) hands over my ears, trying to conceal the scream while I shut my (E/C) eyes tight.

  - "Stop ! What are you doing ?!" I shouted in fear and distress. A cold, fabric hand came in contact with my shoulder. I turned around only to meet two pairs of cold, ghostly, white eyes, looking right into mine : This was the mangled fox, hanging from the ceiling as it and the metal skull that accompanied the fox were both looking right into my soul, sending shivers running down my spine in dread. My eyes watered and widened in fear as I recognized it.
  Suddenly, both of the entity let out unbearable screeches and radio-like noises as I screamed in terror.

  - "Sh-s-ing-ing-cks-n-s-ul..." The burnt, mangled fox and the robotic skull said at the same time but the only thing that was coming out from their mouths were statics and pieces of words, creating an incomprehensible mess. My eyes narrowed in confusion as my rear bumped into the desk's edge as Michael's painful screams never stopped. The withered and burnt bear approached me as I slightly recoiled.

  - "He's trying to say that she's tightening the spring locks on his soul, to make him suffer." It said in its glitchy voice as my eyes widened in shock. I was panicked and horrified by the scene that was being played before me : Michael was now debating himself like a wild animal, his back pinned on the hard, cold, black and white, tiled floor. His hands and feet were stretched and pinned down hard on the floor as he was shaking and violently convulsing, the infinite clicking noises of the releasing spring locks mechanism joining Michael's unbearable screams, the lot forming a deathly cacophony. Black tears were pouring out of his eyes, spilling on the floor, staining it and his calloused, fabric cheeks.

  - 'I must stop it, I have to !' I thought, panicked and alarmed. I had to do Something to put an end to this, Michael didn't deserve this !

  - "Charlie..." I whisepered aloud a first time. I knew that the thin and tall puppet was Charlie, there was no way it couldn't have been her : I heard her voice, despite of her voice's changements. I received no response from the ghostly puppet, which was still turned toward Michael, the head lowered while it was keeping observing Michael twisting painfully on the floor, screaming, grunting and crying in pain.

  - "Charlie... !" I said aloud one more time in a second attempt to make it stop. The puppet slowly turned its face around a bit to lock its black right eye on my face, its white pupil slightly twitching. I plastered a pleading look on my face, begging her with my glossy (E/C) eyes to stop. But it didn't. The puppet ghost just turned its head back to Michael, who was still shifting, screaming and sobbing on the dusty and dirty floor.

  - "Charlie !" I screamed at the top of my lungs. This was enough. I gathered up my courage and started running toward the thin, burnt puppet, determined to put a stop to Michael's sufferings, once and for all. I reached the puppet's black back but, as I was about to just yank it back, my (S/C) hand only went through it. My eyes widened in surprise as the ghost-like puppet turned its face around one more time, its white pupil never leaving my (E/C), scared eyes, as a cold and fabric hand reached my shoulder once again. Something or rather someone abruptly yanked me backward as I realized.

  - 'They are illusions...' I thought, surprised. I couldn't touch them : My limbs will only get through their bodies if I ever try to get physical contacts with them. But, somehow, they were able to touch me.
  I turned around, releasing myself from " who-knows' " grip, only to meet the watermelon looking chicken. Its beak was dangerously snapping right at my face while the chicken was scaringly cocking its head on the side. I recoiled in warning and darted my eyes toward the puppet once again.

  - 'How am I going to make Charlie stop... ?!" I wondered, lost. I couldn't physically act on the Phantoms : Punching them or any acts of this kind won't work, my fists will only get through them. I had to act with words, I had to resonate them.
  I inhaled deeply and calmed down, despite of Michael's agonizing screams, and dared to speak up.

  - "He is not the murderer, Charl-" I couldn't finish my sentence that the burnt puppet faced and interrupted me.

  - "Of course he is ! Why wouldn't it be him ?! He's the one who stabbed me ! I know it for sure !" Charlie screamed at me by means of her puppet-like and illusional form. I felt my heartbeats increased as a bead of sweat rolled down my forehead.

  - "No, he's not ! He told me the Truth ! He told me absolutly everything ! He. Is. Not. The. Murderer !

  - He is, (Y/N) ! He was wearing the same suit that he used to lure us ! He is the one who lured us in this back room !" The ghostly bear suddenly yelled at me, joining the debate and objecting my words, as I finally recognized its voice.

  - "Gabriel..." I whispered.

  - "He murdered us !" The burnt robot boy said, accompanying Gabriel.

  - "Jeremy..." I whispered once again.

  - "He stuffed us into the show characters' suits we loved so much until that day !" The watermelon-like chicken yelled at its turn.

  - "Susie..."

  - "He stuffed us into these deathtraps without any hesitations or regrets either !" The burnt and tarnished red fox said.

  - "Fritz...

  - S-So w-e go-got ou-our rev-revenge o-on hi-him af-af-after all-all o-of th-these ye-ye-years of su-suff-sufferings." The mangled, burnt and hanging fox and the skull said, this time with a more understable voice, yet still screechy and glitchy.

  - "Michael... Brooks... ?" I whispered one last time, finally recognizing the hanging, robot fox's voice.

  - "THEN WHY ?!" Charlie suddenly screamed in the puppet's usual glitchy voice. She brought her fists up and violently slammed them down onto the desk, over and over, in anger. She then released Michael from her mental death grip and he suddenly stopped convulsing and screaming. He just layed there, silently crying while he was looking like he was panting. I sighed in relief but was soon ripped away from my relieving state by Charlie's furious thumping noises, martyring the desk by her knocking.

  - "WHY ?! WHY ?! WHY... ?!" She kept screaming and slamming.