Betrayal

My Name is Tony Banks. The thing I feared the most in the world was death. Not knowing when it would come or what would happen after scared me. I didn't believe in the afterlife or a higher power. But as I got older my life got harder until one-night death had seemed like the only way to get away from my problems. How can people deal with the blade of a knife? Should I take pills? Where would I get pills from? I lay awake in bed just wanting to die, I felt like I had no purpose in the world, no friends, no understanding. Suddenly I heard a noise in the room. Not wanting to get up I just ignored it and continued with my thoughts. It wasn't until I felt it watching me, a presence that I got up. I quickly hit my light only to find a shadow moving out the window. I ran after it forgetting about my thoughts of death for I was filled with curiosity.

What was in my room watching me? It could have been a bird or anything so I left my window open just in case. Birds were beautiful to me and came by often because I left Doritos and other chips in my window. As I made my way to my bed I seemed happier that I wasn't thinking about death or hurting myself. What creature was in my room? Waking up the next morning I noticed my window was closed. I thought my mother had closed it but she had been too drunk to move. I got dressed wondering what time did she come in. She would always go to the bar and get drunk and stumble home. My mother has been an alcoholic ever since we lost my father. We didn't talk unless it was about dad or school. She always wants to remind me of him so I didn't forget. I always wore my favorite jacket that my dad gave me before he died. I smelled it hope it would bring back positive memories of him in my mind. I grabbed my backpack from beside my bed and made my way out the door without saying a word to my mother. The bus stop was two blocks away so I had a little time to myself. I noticed the trees and the birds and the smell of fall coming. Leaves were falling off the trees and onto the ground so autumn was about to begin. The harvest. Halloween. And Scary movies. My mom was never home so I was free to do anything I wanted after work at the book store. I spent most of my time at the old middle school drawing and exploring the other side of town. I was approaching the bus stop but I was stopped by the sight of blue and red flashing light. The town was mostly peacefully so the cops had an easy job but there was yellow tape near. I saw all the other kids looking up so I tilted my head and that's when I saw it. A man was hung on a telephone pole by a rope. Was this murder or suicide? We couldn't go near the body but who could have died. He was homeless I heard one cop say. But why would a homeless man take his own life? He could have been thinking the same thing I was. In need of an escape. I was too scared to go thru with it but it was still in the back of my mind. The Oakenfold police cars were we would usually stand so I decided it would just be best to walk to school. I walked past some familiar houses but I noticed one with a moving truck in the driveway. I had no idea the house was for sale but they were moving in. I wanted to see who the owner was so I looked for a person but I see a hooded figure looking at me. Something drew me to the house like a fly to a bad smell. I had to keep moving or else I would be late for class and I couldn't afford detention. I tried my hardest not to look back but when I did I noticed a kid walking to. I paid it no attention, maybe he missed the bus. Walking upon Oakenfold high was one of the worst places of my life. I never had any real friends except Kevin and Gregory. I felt as if I was different from everyone else in that hell hole. The teachers were evil and the students were worst. I pulled my iPhone from my hoodie pocket to put it on silent but I remembered, WHOEVER TEXTS OR CALLS ME!? I walked through the front door of the school building in the rush of all the other students bumping and clawing my way into the six doors. I made a basic left to stop at my locker and get my textbooks. I see all the pretty girls all standing around each other laughing and engaging in conversation. I wasn't into girls at all. I was more into boys but not the captain of the varsity football team or any athlete. I was most interested in a social butterfly named Kevin who also didn't seem like he belonged here. But all the girls loved him for his looks while I loved him for who he was. He seemed like a lost soul like me but except he liked to be happy and he found his purpose which was making people happy. Kevin was my only real friend besides Greg. We grew up together but once my dad died and my mom went crazy we stopped seeing each other. We had a class together but we rarely had any time to talk, it would just be a quick nod of the head. The group of girls finally let him go giving me a chance to talk to him.