Stay

HS

I feel the panic creeping in.
Why didn't she tell me sooner? Does she not want to spend time with me tonight? Where are they going? Is she gonna get drunk and get hurt? Who's gonna drive if they are drinking?

So many questions.
"Don't ask her all that Harry. She's a grown woman." I can hear Mitch softly chastise me.
"She could get hurt, he needs to know. She could never come back to us.  Ask her Harry we need to know."  Robert retorts immediately.
"Both of you shut up." I try to collect myself and wipe away the sad puppy face I know I'm making.

"O-okay Tiff.  That's uh....that's good.  Yes... that's really good. You've been working hard and need some fun." My tone is not convincing though I try my very best.
I take my place in front of the sink beginning to wash the dishes. She's looking  at me with concern. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I won't be gone long. We're just going to that little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that Julie loves so much. I probably won't drink much either."  With that she kisses my cheek and swiftly walks away.

I barely relax at her reassurance that she would be back, and in one piece.  As I'm drying the last dish. I hear the shower turn on. "Make her stay Harry." Roberts gruff voice echoes in my head.
"No Harry. You told her she should go." Mitch's soft voice grows firmer.
"Harry. Do it."
"Don't do it."
"Shut up."

I ease my way in the direction of the bathroom, conveniently I only have my robe on. I leave it in the hallway and tap on the bathroom door. "No Haz you're gonna make me late." Her voice is coated in mock firmness. She doesn't mean it. She loves when I make her late. I tap on the door again.

"Come on Kitten, let me come inside."
It's all silent as my pun hangs in the air.
Then the bathroom door swings open and I forget how to breath.