Were Reborn

Tuxedo Mask leapt over the balcony railing, floundered and fell against the outside wall. He didn't care. Like a blind man, he fumbled to the point of frustration as he tried to open the patio doors. Just before he'd decided to smash a fist through the glass and get it over with, the doors slid open with ease. He dashed through, throwing off hat and mask to collapse on the couch, head cradled in his hands.

Oh god, what had he done? You kissed her, you fool! his mind screamed at him repeatedly. It had felt so good...so right... That's not the point! But if he could do it again...NO! Don't go there!

He slumped back, running weary fingers through tousled black hair. He couldn't change what had happened. He'd kissed her. No, she'd kissed him first, and that thought sent more fingers of overjoyed excitement running down his nerve endings. God, Sailor Moon had kissed him! Chiba Mamoru, cold upperclassman. And you should have left it at that, you idiot! But he couldn't help it. When he'd felt her lips on his, warm and soft, he had simply lost it. Shocked to the core the first few seconds, he had almost gone into a panic when she began to pull away. His whole body had protested at the thought of parting, and he'd given in. He'd chased her mouth as if his salvation depended on it, and had not let the kiss stay innocent. It had been a hot meeting of open mouths...

"Aaargh!" He jumped up from the couch and proceeded to pace the length of his living room, his gait unusually disjointed, filled with nervous energy. If he had simply let it go at that first kiss he would have no problems. Sure, so Sailor Moon would probably be a little embarrassed next time they met, and he'd always wonder what it would have been like to really kiss her. But god, the not knowing would have been easier to handle than the knowledge that he would never be able to kiss her again. After all, you can't miss what you've never had, right? He had highly compromised his mission to find the crystal, to find his princess.

And, of course, now came the guilt. As ridiculous as it was, he felt as though he were being unfaithful to his dream princess. But worse yet was the knowledge that, if in the same position, he would not hesitate to kiss Sailor Moon again.

Weak. You are so weak.

For long moments, Sailor Moon's mind was a rush of conflicting thoughts and emotions. It's ridiculous. You've gone insane, girl. No way is Chiba, Satan himself, Tuxedo Mask. But there it was, the proof that stained her glove, that incriminating drop of blood.

So what? He'd just been in a battle! Think about it, there could have been a hundred chances for blood to splatter his face. For all you know, that is your blood. The argument held logic, but something in her gut warned her not to dismiss her first instinct so lightly. She was scared to think that her Tuxedo Mask, who she thought could do no wrong, was actually the flawed and utterly infuriating Mamoru she knew not-so-well.

And the scariest part was, she wouldn't have been disappointed if he had been.

Maybe that's what she wanted. Maybe that's why her mind had jumped so easily, so happily, to that conclusion.

Sailor Moon jumped down from her perch on the roof, found a convenient alley, and dropped her transformation. It was getting late and she had to go home. Thinking about this would only drive her insane. I'm desperate. That's what it is. I am just sick of guessing who Tuxedo Mask is.

That had to be it. She was obviously under a lot of stress.

Seriously, she couldn't really believe that she had the hots for Chiba. Usagi scoffed quietly at herself. NO, of course not. So he could be nice, but he was generally a big pain. And-and so what if Tuxedo Mask WAS Chiba Mamoru? Mamoru was even MORE unlikely to feel anything for her than Tuxedo Mask was...

Usagi stopped in mid-step, breath sounding unnaturally sharp in her ears. That's right. Mamoru would never fall for me.

She was jostled rudely as a group of teenagers, newly released from school, pushed her out of their path. She resumed her walk more slowly, blinking back foolish tears that had sprung up behind her eyes. The sun...it's just the sun is so bright, that's all.