Kane

If you enjoy this chapter don't forget to comment and vote 🧡

Kane's Point of View

"Are you sure you want to do this?" My Beta, Zander, asks.

"This war has been going on for four generations. It's time for it to end." Mostly so there can finally be peace long enough for me to search for my mate.

"But this way?" He presses further. I know where his concern was coming from. Challenging the Alpha of the Shadow Pack was not the most brilliant decision I've ever made. I'm 24 years old and all I've known is war. I want to live in peace; I want my pack to be able to live in peace for once. I don't want anymore pups traumatised with losing their parents or the drills they are forced to do at school, evacuating them to the tunnels that lead to the safe houses.

"It won't be a challenge to the death. If he yields; he lives," I said simply. "Neither one of us can afford to lose any more pack members. And the challenge will only come into play if he doesn't agree to a treaty." A knock on the door interrupted us. "Come in," I called, standing to my full height of 6'3'' behind my desk. My Delta, Carter, walked in. He was small for a delta, my head warrior, especially for werewolf standards, barely standing at 5'10''. He was the only adult male wolf in my pack that didn't reach at least 6'.

"We're ready, Alpha," he nodded at me, formally. He and my beta were my best friends, the only ones who could get away with calling me on my bullshit or teasing me, but they both knew when to respect my title.

"Call the warriors." Carter's eyes went glassy as he mind linked the warriors he was in charge of. Once the other top 9 warriors in our pack entered my office I laid out the strategy. We'd run the short five miles to the battle field. The same field that we'd been battling in for four generations, since my great-grandfather was alpha. After that I'd lay down the demands for the treaty and ceasefire. If Alpha Montgomery agreed, there would be peace. If he didn't I'd challenge him for his position. His age would play against him. Since his only son and heir was killed last year, in yet another clash, by one of my warriors, he had to resume his alpha duties.

The plan was simple. Hopefully there would be no loss of life tonight, on either side. Although, no-one would believe me if I said I didn't want the Shadow pack to lose anymore either. To them, and most other packs in the nation, I was the ruthless alpha. Heartless. Cold. Those were the reasons I hadn't found my met yet, according to them. What they didn't know is that I wasn't cold or heartless. I wasn't the things the world portrayed me to be. I was just a pup when my parents were killed. Twelve years old and already having to take over as alpha. Since that time all I'd wanted was to find my mate. The woman who would bring balance into my life and bring warmth to the parts of me that were cold and cruel. The parts of me that had been shaped by circumstance, decisions of who to kill and who to spare before I was even a teenager.

My pack was an anomaly. The top three wolves were unmated. A fact that was strong enough to bring down any pack. No top females to balance the men often lead to failure. A luna is vital. The pack was pressuring me to take a luna who wasn't my true mate. Something I would never do. Couldn't do. But I needed her. Desperately. Most high ranking wolves would take time away from their pack, travelling to allies in search of their mate. Because of the constant warring I didn't have the luxury of leaving my pack for an extended period of time. All the allies I'd invited with their daughters, sisters and high ranking females hadn't brought any success. I was still missing the other half of my soul. Zander was in the same position. Carter too. Although Carter was looking for his mate amongst the men in other packs, but still, my third in command needed his other half too. Maybe my mate was a man too. It wouldn't be the first time an alpha thought he was straight only to be mated to a man. If that was the case it wouldn't matter, he or she would be perfect to me. All of my flings had been women. A fact that my mate, man or woman, would hate. I let my thoughts travel to what she'd be like. I always imagined her petite, coming to the middle of my chest, long brown hair and eyes, matching mine. My wolf, Tobias, whined in the back of my head, desperate for his mate too. He hated me for not waiting for her and never let a moment slip by where he could reiterate that fact. I'd been waiting 6 years and it was beginning to take it's toll on me. On us.