Kane

If you enjoy this chapter don't forget to comment and vote 🧡

Let her catch you staring at her. Tobias says calmly in the back of my head.

What? I snap back at him. I watch Averie eat her dessert. With everything I've seen her eat today I don't know how she's so thin.

Every time she caught me looking at her a red tint stained her cheeks. Her eyes flicked between my lips and eyes before going back to her dessert.

Let her catch you looking at her. I had no idea what he was going on about but he was having more luck with Athena than I was with Averie so I decided to listen to him. I watched her eat, her full pink lips wrapping around the fork. I still couldn't get used to her beauty. That was the thing about mates. You could be mated to a troll and he or she would be the most beautiful person in the world. You could live your entire life attracted to women and end up with a male mate. But Averie. She was beautiful by any definition of the word.

I kept staring at her, my eyes taking in every inch of her face, memorizing her. When she was finally finished with her dessert she set her plate down, her eyes finding mine again. Then my lips. I don't even think she realized what she was doing. Taking a chance I leaned in, licking my lips. She didn't move. I stopped before completely closing the distance. When she started to lean in I thanked the Goddess, hoping to finally taste those sweet lips. "You wanna kiss me, don't you?" She asked. Her lips were so close, as close as they could be without touching.

"Yes," I whispered, my hands cupping her face and closing the minuscule distance between us. Sparks literally erupted when our lips touched. I'd meant for it to be gentle and sweet but the bond had consumed me. My lips brushed against her harshly. I stood, pulling her with me, chest to chest. Her heart beat rapidly behind her ribcage, matching my own frantic heartbeat. Wrapping her hands around my neck she let out a little whimper. "Averie," I murmured against her. Before she could respond I put my lips back on hers, nipping at her bottom lip.

Instead of granting me access like I so desperately wanted, needed, she pulled away. Her green eyes sparkled while she tried to catch her breath.

"Kane," she began and I already knew I wasn't going to like what she was about to say.

"Why do you keep fighting this?" I asked her, my voice filled with a mix of frustration and desperation I didn't recognize.

"I want to take things slow."

"Slow?" I say, cutting her off before she can continue. "For wolf pace. For alpha wolf pace we're going slower than any mates in the history of the world." I was exaggerating. She knew it. I knew it. But I wanted to get it point across. "Anybody else would have marked and mated you in your bedroom before we even left the pack house." That part wasn't a lie or an exaggeration.

Every minute that passed that she didn't accept me broke my heart a little more. I wanted nothing more than to give myself to her completely. To have her give herself to me in the same way. Rejecting your mate happened so rarely but the horror stories of what happened to rejected mates terrified me. It would mean slowly losing my mind, slowly wasting away until I was nothing. Worse than what would happen to me was that my pack would be left vulnerable and exposed.

"I don't want to fight the bond," she admitted softly. "I feel it too Kane. Just as strongly as you do." She took a deep breath, putting more distance between us. "You're responsible for the death of my brother," she cried, tears falling down her cheeks. "The Goddess mated me to the man who took away the most important person in my life." She laughed bitterly. "I need to know the truth. I have to know why our packs have been battling for a hundred years. I need to know that his death wasn't for nothing."