Chapter 12

The dark roast tasted bitter and hot on his tongue, a sensation he was so familiar with he longed for it. He bathed in the gentle smell of the bakery, enjoying the softly colored lighting coming through the windows. A soft smile played on his face as his favorite song came on the radio. He tapped his pencil lightly on the pages of his textbook to the rhythm of the song.

With a jingle, the door opened and a handful of people crowded in.

"Over here Beckett," Sawyer waved. Beckett had bags under his eyes and his complexion was paler than usual. He blinked slowly as he walked and his feet dragged on the ground.

Beckett grunted as he pulled a chair from the next table and rolled himself into it. His eyes seemed unfocused.

"Are you okay?" Sawyer asked.

"Mh-hmm," Beckett said. He stared at the pictures in Sawyer's textbook.

"Why don't you go get a coffee," Sawyer said. Beckett nodded. He scooted the chair back with a loud noise and stumbled to the line. Sawyer took another sip of coffee, savoring the warmth as it ran down his throat.

He glanced through the pages of his textbook, paying more attention to Beckett falling asleep in line than the assignment. Sawyer was halfway done with his drink by the time Beckett made it back to the table, drink in hand, sloshing over the sides and dripping from his hand.

"You look like a zombie," Sawyer said.

"Haven't slept in two days," Beckett said.

"Are you really struggling that much with school?"

"Ow," Beckett gasped, having downed most of the steaming cup in one gulp. Sawyer frowned slightly.

"So what're you reading?" Beckett leaned forward on one elbow.

"Art history textbook," Sawyer said. "I've got an exam tomorrow."

"Doing okay in the class?" Beckett took another swig of coffee. He looked like an alcoholic getting his fix.

"More or less," Sawyer eyed him cautiously. "Been busy going back and forth from my parents' place but doing the best I can."

Beckett nodded and gulped down the rest of the cup. Sawyer watched as Beckett switched the two cups.

"Seriously, are you okay?"

"Just give it a minute for the caffeine to kick in," he started to drink Sawyer's coffee. Beckett shook his head, his disheveled hair flying in all directions. "Alright, I'm good."

"Is school going that badly?"

"Oh, uh, you know," he said. "The usual." When Sawyer didn't answer, he continued, "I told you I was struggling enough with one major. And some how you're balancing two."

"And parents with cancer," he mumbled.

"Wait really?"

"Uh..."

"I didn't know that," Beckett had finished off the second cup of coffee and was eyeing the line again. "That must be really hard for you."

Sawyer shrugged, "I do what I can for them. It's not enough."

"Well, if I can help at all-"

"No."

"Oh come on, if I can help you should let me," Beckett protested.

"You haven't slept in two days and you're asking for more things to do?"

"Well, I mean, I took a 30 minute nap," he said. "Besides, it'll get better as soon as I find an apartment. That's half the reason I'm not sleeping." Sawyer ran his finger along the rim of one of the mugs. His eyes fixed on his textbook and for the first time he was aware of the Rococo image sitting in front of him.

"So you're moving out?"

Beckett nodded, the bags under his eyes darkening as he moved his head. The American scooted away from the table and into line for another cup of coffee.

Sawyer read the page in front of him slowly, savoring the bitterness of each word as it hung in his mind. Despite himself, he glanced up. Beckett was laughing with the cashier. From a distance, the bags under his eyes faded and the warm lighting brought color back into his face. He looks nice like that, Sawyer thought. The word 'hot' flashed through his mind. No, no, not like that, I didn't mean that, he tried to clear his head. The voice deep down whispered it again and Sawyer stood his book up to hide his face.

"Why did you want to meet with me?" Beckett fell back into his seat, sending coffee drips splattering across the table. "Couldn't you just talk to me tonight?"

Sawyer ran his hand through his hair and chewed on the corner of his lip. He watched a slight frown purse Beckett's lips. The shadow cast over his face set his eyes in a no-nonsense frame, but underneath it, there was only exhaustion.

"You don't have to move out, you know," Sawyer eyed the now half-empty cup. "Especially not if it's doing this to you."

"No, no, I'm good." Sawyer saw a small shudder run through Beckett.

"How about you wait until a better time to move out," Sawyer shut his book. "Like after the semester ends. I know you have a lot to study for right now."

"Mmm?" Beckett was trying to lick off a coffee mustache. Real attractive, Sawyer mentally rolled his eyes.

"You can wait until later to move out. I want you to get some sleep."

"Later," he swirled the last bit of coffee in the cup. "I've got another class right after lunch." He checked his phone. "Speaking of class, I gotta go." Beckett stood up so fast the table rocked and an empty mug teetered off the edge. Beckett stared in shock as the cup fell. Sawyer barely caught it.

"Do you even know how to get back to school?" Sawyer asked. Beckett nodded and pointed in a direction. "You're... joking right?"

"I don't have time for joking," Beckett yawned. "Gotta get to class." Sawyer watched him cautiously as he ran into another table and pushed the door from the wrong side.

"I'll walk you to class," Sawyer jogged after him. "This way is a shortcut." He waved Beckett in the opposite direction of school. Beckett lumbered along, his usual playful demeanor dampened. Sawyer wasn't sure it was just exhaustion that was keeping him from talking.

The three of them--Sawyer, Beckett, and the silence between them--dodged between chattering people and noisy children. Beckett was so absorbed in walking that he paid no attention to where they were going until they stopped.

"Wrong way."

"No it isn't. This is exactly where I meant to go," Sawyer crossed his arms.

"You were supposed to go to school."

"You need to sleep. I don't think you should go to class in this condition."

Beckett frowned. The two locked eyes and for a moment, Sawyer considered taking Beckett back to school. He steeled his resolve.

"Ask someone in the class to record what happens today," he said. "You need to sleep." Beckett shook his head at the ground. He let out a heavy sign and his shoulders drooped.

"Alright."