𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

DRAPETOMANIA
chapter one

it's been a few hours since kelsie's arrival home and she's enjoying her pre-boarding school freedom once again. the pogues are stationed at a brand new beach house that was built in kooklandia for some absent minded tourons to get their shred of obx life in for a week.

kelsie's on the roof with john b, admiring the view of the sunset on the marsh, beer in hand, "thats what, a three-story fall to the deck?" asks john b, one foot on the roof, the other dangling lazily off the side as if he was going to jump right off.

"i give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." remarks pope sarcasm laced in his voice, "hm. should i do it?" laughs the brunette looking back at kelsie who shook her head, snickering at the boy's idiocy.

 should i do it?" laughs the brunette looking back at kelsie who shook her head, snickering at the boy's idiocy

"yeah, jump." states jj as serious as possible, "i'll shoot you on the way down."

"you'll shoot me?" asks john b pretending to be offended, "jb don't be an idiot and jj don't encourage him?" scoffs kelsie like an out of patience mother.

kelsie is the mom of the pogues and she always has been. she looks out for her friends and is always there for them when they need someone. it's basically her job to make sure the pogues have fun all summer but stay safe in the process. "they're gonna have japanese toilets with towel warmers." complained kie walking onto the deck.

"of course. why wouldn't they?" asks jj.

"this used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, i guess?" groans kie.

"no one cares about turtles as much as you do kie. and can you please not kill yourself?" askes kels to the boy on the ledge of the roof as he takes a swig of his beer.

"don't spill that beer. i'm not giving you another one." yells jj from the deck.

and without fail of course, not even five seconds later john b drops his beer onto the deck. "oh shit."

"smooth."

"a-plus."

"dumbass."

"wow."

the pogues aren't even remotely surprised at their friend's stupidity.

"hey!" yells a voice off in the distance.

"hey uh- security is here." says pope frantically as he begins to quickly gather his shit together.

"let's wrap it up"

"boys are early today."

the pogues all scattered from where they were towards the van, all whilst the guards chase behind them.

jj mocks the security guard gary and it makes kelsie giggle. it was like nothing had changed.

the friends drive off and on the way to the cut they pass the iconic sign. the iconic teal blue sign titled "OUTER BANKS - PARADISE ON EARTH" now means something to kelsie.