Chapter 1

I am sick to death of this particular self.
I want another.

                      |Sang Saoirse Sorenson|

The car swept around a sharp curve, and straggling ends of spongy moss-bearded trees clouded my vision as they ran down the road like tongues of smoky flames.

The persistent rain came steady and cold against the windshields, rattling on the car's roof. All around me, paths gleamed like jewels as water dampened the paving stones. I curved my head slightly to the left and looked out my window, where it had gotten dark and shiny, with the lights glistening off the rain.

When I saw a distant flash of fork-shaped lightning bolts, I counted the seconds and then murmured, "Five miles, more or less."

A misty fog began to billow across the road in a great grey mass like the effluent of a thousand smokestacks. Some trees were only shadowy forms, almost entirely lost to view.

Nature glided over every crevice and every rock; streets yawned in opposite directions, and shadows slipped up the rocky cliffs as though the world were drowning in an inky darkness. 

Yet despite its beauty, this quiet town was still submerged ominously beneath the sky; a brooding gloom in the sunshine - a lurid glare under the stars.

As I turned onto a narrow roadway which ran sharply to the right, I soon became hemmed in with trees which, in some places, arched over the path to create a twisty tunnel.

My eyes flickered to the sky as it became a benign immensity of unstained light. Though the region southward seemed to be growing gloomier with each passing minute, as if it were angered by the sun.

The path became rugged as I continued the journey through the green sloping lands decked with wild and seemingly endless forests that stretched far beyond into the yellowing light.

A flare of orange kissed my pale cheeks when a rosy fleece sailed through the skies, making my surroundings even more beautiful as far as my imagination could grasp it through the afternoon's gloom.

Right and left of me, the saplings swayed against the soft wind, and the afternoon setting sun glimmered against the rain-licked branches. My fingers tightly curled around the steering wheel as I observed that I was drifting further away from civilization and inching closer into the shadows of the peaks beyond.

Mist crawled up the mountains like a gauzy and radiant fabric, draping across the trees in diaphanous folds. But the mountains seemed to frown down at me as if I were an unwanted visitor.

My eyes squinted at the road signs perched next to each other, and a smile ticked the edge of my lips whilst the car pertained to fly over the asphalt in feverish haste.

Beyond the glass shielding me from the cool water drenching the soil outside, I noticed that the tangled and mossy environment was entirely different from those I was subjected to. But I liked this; it felt like home.