caught in the crossfire

————- ✼ ————-

𝙮/𝙣'𝙨 𝙋𝙊𝙑

I woke up to the feeling of my face pressed into Kylo's neck comfortably. I had a light blush on my cheeks, remembering last night's activities. Judging by the light shining through the curtains, it was already morning. 

We should probably get ready to leave.

I slowly started playing with a strand of Kylo's hair. A few minutes later he woke up, immediately gazing down at me with a lopsided smile. 

He didn't say anything, but his pleasant gaze said it all. I blushed and bit my lip with a small smile before placing a gentle kiss on his nose. "We should probably get ready to leave, love," I replied in a hushed tone. He groaned in response, shoving his face into the crook of my neck as I giggled, pushing him away playfully.

"Kylo, seriously. They're expecting us back soon." I mumbled, not wanting to get up either. I patted his head before slowly standing up and grabbing some clothes from my wardrobe. Instead of my last Naboo outfit, I put on the black leggings and shirt from the New Supremacy.

I could hear a chuckle from behind me. I whipped around, only to see Kylo staring at me with a smirk on his face as I quickly covered myself with the clothes. 

"Hey! Turn around!" I shrieked playfully. 

"Nothing I haven't seen before." He muttered, smirk still apparent on his face. I blushed even harder, but continued changing nonetheless.

Once we were finished getting ready, we started heading back up the stone path towards the ship. We had to hurry, in order to not be seen in our First Order uniforms. Although Naboo wasn't at war with the First Order, we always had to be careful.

The morning was warm, with a light breeze, which felt refreshing. I was going to miss this planet, but I knew, hoped, that everything would turn out alright. 

I huffed as I glanced over at Kylo, who was holding his helmet at his side, a content look on his face.

Once we boarded the ship, I took in a deep breath. This would probably be the last time that I would see Naboo for a while and I wanted this moment to last forever. 

I took my seat beside Kylo as he glanced at me with a small smile, then focused his gaze onto the ship's controls, causing a low hum from the back jets. We gently lifted off the ground and started to hover over the tree line.

I glanced behind us out the back window, and my eyes narrowed as a ship tailed us. I was about to say something but stopped myself when the ship appeared to have disappeared. I should've said something. Anything.

Before we could fly out of the atmosphere, a loud blast was heard, followed by the sound of shots passing right outside the main cockpit window.

"Fuck!"

My eyes widened, darting frantically over at Kylo, who was sporting an irritated expression. He let out a grunt of annoyance as he slammed his fist on the accelerator. His mind was beginning to race like water in a whirlpool, alerting me of the seriousness of the situation.

 "What's happening?!" I shouted over the rapid-fire as he dodged the shots. The shuttle surged forward, twisting and turning freely in order to not be shot down. The constant push and pull of the ship caused me to lose my balance, and I gripped onto the seat cushion in order to keep myself upright.